Original topic:

Samsung Odyssey G7 Auto Detect of Active Input Source doesn't work

(Topic created on: 4/15/21 11:06 PM)
userGq7tkZffDM
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello,

It seems your whole Samsung odyssey range such as G7, G9 and G5 doesn't allow automatic detection of an active input source. Something most monitors can do these days, even cheap ones.

The auto input switch menu option does not work.

I am on the latest firmware  1009.3 and I have also tried a factory reset. I am on the latest DisplayPort firmware etc.

This is a very expensive, flagship monitor so it should have this simple feature. Please could you add it?

Samsung support told me this is a common hardware fault and that I need to return it, is this really the case? I have a feeling he was not interested in helping me.

Kind regards

7 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did you check your User Manual?

The one I looked at had this in it for Auto Source:

"Auto Source Switch
By activating, a new connected source is displayed automatically.
― This function may not be supported depending on the model or geographical area."

I buy  monitors based on size, resolution, refresh rate, ability to use Vesa mounts, and inputs.  All the rest is considered non critical fluff.

0 Likes
userrgqi82CHO2
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

That works for you, great! So what?

I also look at gaming features first, but wasting so much time fiddling with the clunky single button to manually switch source, especially given how slow this monitor is to turn on, is a chore.

I’d also like Samsung to fix this, and the fact that you consider it “fluff” is totally irrelevant.

userixRnbRQSUD
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issue.

Recently switched from two old monitors (VGA and DVI inputs in both) to a couple of Samsung (HDMI and Display Port).

My old Monitors worked as expected, when switching from 1 to 2 displays in one of my connected computers the monitor automatically detected the new input, no buttons in the monitor needed to be pressed. Only Win + P shortcut to Extend Displays. 

My New Monitors does not automatically switch when pressing Win + P to Extend Displays, they behave as if I was turning the display off. The only way to make them to turn on again is by pressing the button behind the screen (not very comfortable). 

Both monitors have a configuration option called: Source Detection.

Available options to pick from are:  Auto and Manual. 

Both are configured as AUTO but they are not working anyway. 

Any update from the first message? is this an issue or Samsung monitors are not intended to auto detect sources? 

Regards

userGq7tkZffDM
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I bet Samsung could fix this in firmware. 

But will they is the question.

Also this monitor takes ages to turn on...

Is funny how a cheap monitor beats this monitor in many features, which it really shouldn't.

userrgqi82CHO2
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yes, I am also a bit puzzled at how inconvenient to use it becomes, if you connect two different sources. I’d take for granted a high end monitor does this PRETTY STANDARD thing right.

userGq7tkZffDM
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Every day I have to mess around with the menu to switch inputs. It takes so long that my pc could have booted up two to three times on between. 

As it takes ages to turn on then get to the switch menu, then detect the input and then finally show the input...

0 Likes
userqUMrchkXiF
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same problem with the LU28E. I have Source Detection set to Auto in the settings. But I never once had the display auto switch, every time I have to manually hit the button to switch displays. I have two computers hooked up to two monitors, the Samsung and a Dell. When one of the computers goes to sleep the Dell monitor switches to the active display but the Samsung never does.

0 Likes