Original topic:

Samsung Odyssey G9: Auto Detect Active Input Source

(Topic created on: 12/16/20 8:16 PM)
user9yzX4V9UiS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Request: enable auto-detect active input source on Samsung Odyssey G9 monitors.

Firmware Version: 1008.1

Model #: LC49G97TSSNXDC

The monitor should automatically switch between Display Port 1 to Display Port 2 when I turn off Computer 1 (connected to Display Port 1) and turn on Computer 2 (connected to Display Port 2).

Today I have to do the entire dance where the monitor goes to sleep mode when I turn off computer 1, hit the button a couple of times till it wakes. Then go to the input source menu and switch from DP1 to DP2.

After spending $1500 on a premium monitor, finding out such basic functionality is not supported is a major turn off. Having to manually jump through 6-7 monitor button presses every day to switch from work computer output to my gaming computer output, worries me about damaging the button/monitor through excessive wear and tear than it was designed for.

In today's time, it's not unrealistic to expect customers to use the monitor with multiple computers connected and switching between them.

UPDATE: I have Auto Source Switch turned to ON, but this only works when the cable is physically connected to the monitor. This does NOT auto switch to an active input source where the cable is already connected.

15 Replies
mr_salty
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yes, I would very much like to see this addressed as well. My previous monitors (Acer and Dell) did this and I miss it a lot. I'm also frustrated by the number of button presses it requires, if there were a dedicated "switch source" button it might be workable, but it takes a long time to do it, and this is something I do several times a day.

I upgraded to the 1008.1 firmware hoping that would change the behavior but no luck.

Just to be crystal clear, I took a pic.  Here I was previously using "DisplayPort 2", but that input is now inactive (as well as HDMI which is not connected), and "DisplayPort 1" is active. In this case, the input should automatically switch to "DisplayPort 1" rather than remaining on an input with no signal.

mon.jpg

mr_salty
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I tried to contact Samsung support to file a bug/feature request and got nowhere for the ~40 minutes I sunk into it Smiley Sad

So, that's frustrating and I don't have a lot of hope of getting this resolved.

ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

From your User Manual:

Auto Source Switch
By activating, a new connected source is displayed automatically.
― This function may not be supported depending on the model or geographical area

0 Likes
user9yzX4V9UiS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Who are they expecting to physically attach new displays to this monitor that frequently that the person would need auto-switch only in that scenario? Especially on this behemoth.

I am probably never gonna go for a Samsung display again after this experience.

userrSRQdPvpEJ
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Have also tried to update the firmware on the graphics card, but still no success.

It's a shame that Samsung keeps on delivering almost-good products, there is the same issue with the 2019 QLED tv's, where EARC was promised as an update but it never happened.

And the 2020 QLED models have issues connecting with Sonos Arc, which apparently will only be fixed properly with the 2021 models.

I do keep hoping that auto switch will be delivered as an update, but looking at Samsungs track record it's more likely that the next generation will implement the feature :\

0 Likes
userzVIX8rNKNg
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

It happens with G5 Model too. 

0 Likes
userjvrrVcU3Lq
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

How can this feature be missing?
It's the most basic feature on the cheapest displays.
Kind of a joke...

userCFzPmyWlmD
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

i Have the G7. Same issue here

i have a cable in displayport1 and another cable on HDMI. they are constantly connected.

The display doesnt switch source by itself. using most recent firmware.

userbAu3gZL3NC
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yep, doesn't work with my G7 also. It definitely is some bug. No option in display setting seems to fix it...