Original topic:

Samsung Odyssey G9: Auto Detect Active Input Source

(Topic created on: 12/7/20 10:45 AM)
user9yzX4V9UiS
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Request: enable auto-detect active input source on Samsung Odyssey G9 monitors.

Firmware Version: 1008.1

Model #: LC49G97TSSNXDC

The monitor should automatically switch between Display Port 1 to Display Port 2 when I turn off Computer 1 (connected to Display Port 1) and turn on Computer 2 (connected to Display Port 2).

Today I have to do the entire dance where the monitor goes to sleep mode when I turn off computer 1, hit the button a couple of times till it wakes. Then go to the input source menu and switch from DP1 to DP2.

After spending $1500 on a premium monitor, finding out such basic functionality is not supported is a major turn off. Having to manually jump through 6-7 monitor button presses every day to switch from work computer output to my gaming computer output, worries me about damaging the button/monitor through excessive wear and tear than it was designed for.

In today's time, it's not unrealistic to expect customers to use the monitor with multiple computers connected and switching between them.

UPDATE: I have Auto Source Switch turned to ON, but this only works when the cable is physically connected to the monitor. This does NOT auto switch to an active input source where the cable is already connected.

15 Replies
userJshf8bKLw0
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Have anyone heard anything from Samsung about this?

It´s amazing how they don´t answer their own forum

mr_salty
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I haven't heard anything from Samsung... I did spend 40 minutes chatting with them (as I said in an earlier post) but as far as I can tell they have no mechanism for reporting issues like this. Maybe I'll try @ ing them on twitter.

I switch between my home/work computer at least twice a day and this irritates me every time, especially since the joystick makes it such a finicky process - if there were a dedicated "input" button (or a remote like a lot of monitors have now) it wouldn't be as bad.

0 Likes
userJIGfKwr7zF
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Also experience this problem with the G5 model. Reassuring yet disappointing that this seems to be an issue across the Odyssey range...

Incredibly disappointed, as like OP, I switch between sources very regularly and the physical button to do this is temperamental at best - it can take multiple presses just to get the menu to appear when the monitor initially goes to sleep after the first input device turning off, as I try to switch to the second. 

userGq7tkZffDM
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

The Samsung Odyssey G7 also does this. Please fix this. Dell monitors can do this no problem as I've been doing for the last 10 years.

This is meant to be a premium monitor and it doesn't have basic features like this?

Someone needs to give the software team a little heads up to get this sorted out.

Samsung support just told me to send the monitor back in as hardware fault - seems like this is incorrect?

0 Likes
mr_salty
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

yeah, support also asked me if I wanted to exchange the monitor, I was like "uh, I think you're missing the point...".  I think that is only set up to handle "service" type requests.

I did get some response from @SamsungSupport on twitter; it didn't give me much faith they're planning to do anything about it but maybe if people hit them up we can get some attention to this: https://twitter.com/mr_salty/status/1381267022953250822

0 Likes
userGq7tkZffDM
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm glad, in a way to see I'm not alone.

Do Samsung not respond then, do they not care?

0 Likes