Original topic:

Samsung PM983 SSD not recognized

(Topic created: 06-05-2021 02:47 PM)
userh2yLl5RfZG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm trying to install Samsung PM983 3.84Tb SSD (MZ4LB3T8HALS-00003) using a generic NVME to PCIe adapter. Tried it on Dell Precision T7610 and on a PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard. In both cases, the BIOS does not recognize the drive and it's not shown in Samsung Magician. Tried different PCIe slots and adapters with the same result. Any help appreciated!

0 Likes
4 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Update both systems with  a Bios designed to  accomodate a 4TB NVME data center drive and try again.  Both of your systems are a bit old for such a drive.

0 Likes
userh2yLl5RfZG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi ddaniel51, thanks you for your response! I agree that both systems I tried the drive in are a bit old. So I tried it in Dell Precision T5810, manufactured in 2018, with the same result. Is there a list of systems/controllers that this drive supports? What does a system need to this drive to function?

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Google "NVME dummies"

0 Likes
userh2yLl5RfZG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks for the suggestion, ddaniel51! I followed it and found the solution. PM983 MZ4LB3T8HALS-00003 is an M.3 drive, not M.2, so it requires an M.3 to PCIe adapter which looks the same as M.2 but is electrically different..

0 Likes