Original topic:

Samsung Portable SSD T7 not connecting with MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) Apple M1

(Topic created on: 11/21/20 5:01 AM)
userSPK0ZaRkTI
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Samsung Portable SSD T7 not connecting with MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) Apple M1.

I tried everything, installing the new latest software, It is working with my other two intel macs, all three macs are running the same os - MacOs big Sur.

I tried this, and it is working on other intel macs but not on Apple silicon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igh6ID95ocs&t=420s

Can somebody please help me?

In this video I'll be showing you a quick fix for connecting your Samsung T5 and T7 SSD to the latest version of macOS 10.15 Catalina.Link FOR SAMSUNG T5: ht...
29 Replies
user8Gs6qk9q5k
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Macbook's USB ports may be underpowered. Have you tried using an active (powered) USB hub?

0 Likes
userLCTTRC5u61
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

This is not the issue.   The drive boots up fine, the non-secure side pops up right away.  It is the security software that does not seem to work with M1 macs and Big Sur.    I can turn off the security from my intel Mac running on Cataline, and then the t7 drive boots up fine on my M1 mac and i can see all the files, just no security.

user8Gs6qk9q5k
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

On another forum some people have the connection (mounting) issue even though they've never used Samsung software.

userLCTTRC5u61
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same problem with my M1 mac.  The best i could do is start up the drive on my Intel mac and turn off the security.   Then it boots up fine on my M1 mac and i can get access to my files (albeit with no security).

Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello Samsung Community members,

At Samsung we value customer feedback and are always working on improving ourselves and our customer’s experiences.

We apologize for the inconvenience that some users have reported while trying to use the latest Samsung Portable SSD software 1.6.7 or 1.7.2 version in the newly released M1 Chip embedded MAC system.
Samsung is investigating suspicious symptoms and will keep you posted on our progress.
We appreciate your patience while we work on resolving the issue.

usergL0frc8ZQx
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I too, am having the same issue with the SSD T7 not connecting with the Macbook Air M1 chip.  I had no problem on an older Macbook Pro from late 2011.  On the M1 chip, I got as far as changing the security to reduced security as well as turning off the firevault in the OS Recovery.  After restoring the M1 Macbook Air several times, I got a message to install Rosetta 2, however I get this message where I cannot allow the samsung electronics system extension.  Here is the actual message.  System Extension Blocked.  A program tried to load new system extension(s) signed by "Samsung Electronics" that need to be updated by the developer.  The options are "learn more" or "ok"  I followed the learn more and that is when I re-formatted again and changed the security settings above in the OS recovery. 

I think I am going to return the T7 SSD as I can't use it with this new Macbook M1   

0 Likes
user5BYEM0wJK9
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same problem.  I believe that the problem is with Big Sur as I have an intel mac and a M1 mac and my Samsung T7 won't boot.  I'm very close to returning the T7.  :(

0 Likes
userrch0f7OSQB
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same problem here. Any resolution?

0 Likes
userk1GoToegHs
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Exactly the same problem here. I just bought the T7 drive today and have been trying for the last hour to get the security software running on my new mac m1, but getting nowhere. I can copy files onto it and read it, but I specifically paid out more money to get the added security. I would have thought after 6 weeks or so Samsung might have come up with a solution?

0 Likes