Original topic:

Samsung SJ55W Ultra WQHD Monitor on Macbook Air

(Topic created on: 3/20/21 8:19 AM)
user27brdqHnol
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I purchased the Samsung SJ55W Ultra WQHD Monitor. I have a Apple MacBook Air 13.3" (Early 2015) Laptop, Intel Core i7-5650U 2.2GHz, 256GB PCIe SSD, 8GB DDR3. Laptop specs say Thunderbolt port with support for up to 2560 x 1600-pixel resolution (compatible with Mini DisplayPort devices). I assume this means I cannot attain the WQHD quality at 3440x1440 from this laptop. So, what settings are viable to I use w the SJ55W so that resolution is to 21:9 scale. Right now it's warped... stretched horizontally and driving me a little bit bonkers. I checked drivers and did not see a fix, but maybe I am just missing something.

0 Likes
2 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Sorry, you bought more monitor than your computer can handle.  The best solution is to upgrade the Mac or downgrade to a monitor with a max resolution the Mac can do.

The closest standard format in the User Manual is 2560x1440.  Can your Mac  do  this?

0 Likes
user27brdqHnol
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

After some playing around and troubleshooting with the Samsung team, here's what finally worked. My MacBook air has a mini displayport. The cable provided in the box with the monitor does not have a mini adapter. I already had an HDMI to mini displayport adapter and was using that with the reported problems. It would only display at lower resolution and not to scale. Using a displayport to mini displayport adapter for the MacBook Air seems to be working well. The maximum resolution from the MacBook is indeed less than the monitor is capable of, but acceptable for my needs. It looks sharp and is to scale. Folks, just use the right adapter for the job. AB

0 Likes