JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung SSD 980 PRO extreme slow write speed (1100 mb/s)

(Topic created: 04-23-2021 06:46 PM)
userYwowh3mtHW
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did several tests, any suggestions? Screenshot 2020-12-01 121108.jpg

user52bhIk63wF
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello Samsung Community Users,

At Samsung we value customer feedback and we are always working on improving ourselves and our customer’s experiences.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the symptoms of the 980 Pro not recovering write performance, this is due to the turbo write area being exhausted.

Samsung is preparing a new version of the 980 Pro firmware so that it can be updated at the end of April to resolve the problem.

We appreciate your patience while we work on resolving the issue.

userax8WK1fwoK
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Memory Product Expert -1 
@user52bhIk63wF 

Thank you for the updates. Any ETA on when this firmware will be released?  

0 Likes
userCrxZEjXTO9
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Let's hope upgrading the firmware won't require a complete software re-installation when the 980 Pro is used as a C:\ system disk...

0 Likes
user5nOtnNpR5u
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

What about linux?I get normal read and write speeds at windows 10 and  7gb read speed at linux but  write speed is at 500/mbs. Got two of them and i am really disappointed cause linux gives a 15-25% performance gain on the cpu intensive tasks i do.I also tried latest kernel and of course firmware is the latest. I also checked my fathers older 970 evo and it was also capped at ~550 mb/s. Would be nice to have that issue resolved. There are some onilne benchmarks that show the problem and they also show competitor drives achieving advertised speeds. cpuy is 5950x and mainboard asus x570 gaming-e. Any official response of acknowledging the issue and taking care of it for linux users would be nice

usersmtkSair7v
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm on Ubuntu with 400MB/s write speeds. Any luck since 3 weeks ago?

0 Likes
userCo6mpRgfFO
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Adding my results to the pile in the hopes Samsung will keep focus on this issue:

userCo6mpRgfFO_0-1619035982133.png

userwlRSYxnkWB
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Samsung Do Nothing we wait and wait 

userax8WK1fwoK
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Memory Product Expert -1 
@user52bhIk63wF 

Any updates on when the firmware fix will be released? 

0 Likes
belmirp
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I can confirm that drive's write speed is indeed falling down after some time to around 2500 MB/s and it doesn't go up afterwards. I have had full speed for some time, since I pulled out the drive and reinstalled it in the NVMe slot. Then I had to change something in the BIOS, and the infamous Gigabyte self reset occurred, after which the write speed fell down. I tried the benchmark couple of times after that, and it was not going up, as you can see from the screenshot. It is obvious that the drive can go at the full speed, but there is a bug in the firmware that is preventing it at some point, probably related to the mentioned cache.

2021-04-24 Magician.jpg

@userYwowh3mtHW  If the issue is back with you, please unmark my previous post as solution, because clearly it is only a temporal solution to reset the cache.

0 Likes
useryUz1wcI0Aj
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue here, write speed is a third of my old 970 plus. Just bought 2x 980pro and upgraded pc and get a performance downgradeClip0001.jpg

0 Likes