cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnpd
Asteroid

Samsung SSD X5 not recognized

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having a problem with my new Samsung Portable SSD X5. It is not being recognized on one of my systems (a new HP Z2 Mini G4 Workstation). It never gets the initial "Approve" popup. The X5 does work on two other systems, a Dell XPS laptop and a Lenovo laptop. The HP did have a similar problem with another Thunderbolt device but after having the system board replaced that is now working. I have updated the BIOS, firmware for the Thunderbolt port, and all drivers on the HP . I have also updated the firmware for the X5 to the latest version. Any ideas as to what might be the problem?

Thanks,

JohnD

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
johnpd
Asteroid

Re: Samsung SSD X5 not recognized

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think the problem is with the "Flex I/O" port. After replacing that and eventually the entire system board, I was still having issues. I talked to a HP support tech for a couple of hours. trying various options. We finally found that if the X5 was plugged in before a cold boot, it was recognized. If I then properly ejected it and plugged it back in, it would not be recognized. I had no such issue with two other computers on which I tried the X5. The "Flex I/O" port is not part of the system board but is an add-on to it. Hopefully HP will come out with some fix for this. At least I have a workaround.

Thanks for your help,

JohnD

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

From what I could find on the Z2 it has a USB 3.1 C port and nowhere in the literature does it mention Thunderbolt compatibility.

The X5 is a Thunderbolt 3 device and not USB.

johnpd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Z2 G4 has a Flex I/O Port which can have a Thunderbolt 3 port installed as one of the options. Anyway, it is now working. I brought up the TB sofware from the System Tray, looked at a few things in it, and then plugged the drive in again hoping a miracle might happen. Finally I got the Thunderbolt popup asking if I wanted to approve connecting the X5. I clicked "Always" and now it works. I am not sure what the problem was. That popup never came up before as it never recognized it. Aren't computers wonderful?

Thanks,

JohnD

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Grats!

userOglrMZLETU
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you see your Samsung SSD X5 in the Windows File Explorer? If not, the issue might be caused by the SSD drive not initialized, or lack of a drive letter, so you can open Disk Management to initialize, partition the SSD drive, or reassign a drive letter to it, or you can format it again to a compatible file system. 

Besides, you can as well try to rebuild the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the SSD drive to see if the problem can be fixed, which always requires a professional MBR repairt tool.

johnpd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think the problem is with the "Flex I/O" port. After replacing that and eventually the entire system board, I was still having issues. I talked to a HP support tech for a couple of hours. trying various options. We finally found that if the X5 was plugged in before a cold boot, it was recognized. If I then properly ejected it and plugged it back in, it would not be recognized. I had no such issue with two other computers on which I tried the X5. The "Flex I/O" port is not part of the system board but is an add-on to it. Hopefully HP will come out with some fix for this. At least I have a workaround.

Thanks for your help,

JohnD