Original topic:

Samsung X5 Very Slow Write Speed

(Topic created on: 1/23/21 2:48 AM)
useraAtiUAGuuY
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have got a Samsung X5 external NVMe SSD, and I am testing the R/W speeds using Crystal Disk Mark (8.0.1 X64),  on defeault settings. I have Windows Laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port, internal SSD (512GB) and the drive is properly formatted with NTFS. They ThunderBolt Control Center is also installed on Laptop. Laptop is fully updated with regards to the Windows/Drivers Update.

The SSD drive seems to lag way behind the claimed Write Speeds. 

See below Images:

CDM.PNGCrystalDiskMark (Default Settings):

CDM_NVMe.PNGCrystalDiskMark (NVMe selected in Settings Tab):

1. What is the problem with it ?
  2. Is anone else having the same issue ?
  3. What's the solution ?
4 Replies
usery85Sa9ql5C
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same problem here. Using an ASRock Thunderbold 3 AIC R2.0 PCIE port to run add thunderbolt capabilities and getting nearly identical results to yours. Would love to get this fixed ASAP

0 Likes
useraAtiUAGuuY
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Nobody has replied to this topic of ours. Any chance you can directly contact Samsung and ask for the solution ?

0 Likes
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi useraAtiUAGuuY,

It seems like the windows write cache policy is disabled for that external drive, you might be able to check that under the drive's properties in device manager. Try turning it on, if its off, then run another test.

If that does not work, have you tired testing the port itself or checking your thunderbolt 3 settings? there may also be driver or firmware updates available for the thunderbolt 3 ports for your motherboard to maximize performance, a lot of windows 10 PCs have had issues with thunderbolt 3 performance if you take a look online.

0 Likes
userPRgqL3pi4x
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

Same problem here... and worse!

I also had a read of +/- 2700MB/s and same bad write like TS, but after updating FW the read has gone down to +/- 2000MB/s with the same bad write :(

Crystal.JPG

Intel Core i9 10900, 32GB ram (3200MHz), Windows 10 20H2
Latest updates, drivers.

0 Likes