Original topic:

Secure Erase utility on an NVMe device?

(Topic created: 09-29-2021 01:50 PM)
userwQFrHlHNmd
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Can someone please explain this sentence from the Samsung Magician FAQ website: "Secure Erase is not supported when an NVMe device is connected as the primary disk."  Does this mean when I boot into the Secure Erase utility I will not be able to erase my primary drive?  I see this also, "Samsung Magician provides different ways to erase disk depending on the disk’s interface type. (DOS bootable solution is only available for SATA interface SSDs.)"  Up until recently I have only been using Samsung SATA SSDs but I recently bought a new laptop and picked up a new Samsung 980 PRO (also a 970 EVO Plus).  I have used the bootable USB Secure Erase utility on my SATA drives.  How is the Secure Erase utility deployed when using an NVMe drive?  Is it done within Windows using Samsung Magician?  I don't see how this would work to wipe the whole drive if used within an operating system.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
3 Replies
TheGalaxy
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory
Yes
You can not erase a device that is running the software that is doing the erasing
0 Likes
userwQFrHlHNmd
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yes, I did comment in my post that wiping a drive while running an operating system would not work.  Do you own a Samsung NVMe SSD?  What is your experience with Secure Erase?

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory
No I don't. You can connect your ssd to a Linux system and run disk utility. There is a file system repair option that might fix some internal issue. Also check the firmware update on the ssd. If you just want to erase your ssd, use the disk utility.
0 Likes