Original topic:

Slow speeds on Samsung T7 SSD

(Topic created: 08-25-2021 07:54 AM)
jev93
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2TB Samsung T7 SSD external hard drive for some extra storage on my Windows laptop.  It was advertised as having sequential read and write speeds of up to 1000MB/s, but I'm only getting speeds of up to 50MB/s when I try to transfer files over.

I've run a third party speed test and have got less than encouraging results (max 100MB/s speeds), and a benchmarker piece of software has advised it's performing in the bottom 10% of similar products.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do, but wondered if anyone had any advice before I send it back for a refund.

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

From Samsung  T7 web page:

* Performance may vary depending on host configuration.

To reach maximum read/write speeds of up to 1,050/1,000 MB/s, respectively,

the host device and connection cables must support USB 3.2 Gen 2 and the UASP mode must be enabled.

Does your laptop meet or exceed these specifications?

0 Likes
jev93
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi ddaniel51,

Thanks for your response, appreciate it.

My laptop supports USB 3.1 not 3.2, but has UASP mode enabled.  Would the different USB connection make such an impact to speed?  I'd obviously expect less than the 1000MB/s advertised, but not such a significant drop as to the 50MB/s I've been experiencing!

Thanks.

alienhead
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
try to simply reverse polarity by turning your :electric_plug: plug the opposite way through your outlet
0 Likes
alienhead
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
get hold of a micro SD to use with it then pair it with a track phone move every thing over to allow for faster data speed
0 Likes
alienhead
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
with it* I mean the phone you use now
0 Likes
userMtji75WVhI
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

For an iMac there is a conflict occasionally with reformatting the Samsung in disk utility. Reformat the T7 SSD on a Windows computer to exFAT file system. Then reformat it in your Mac to whatever file system suits. There's occasionally a conflict with the Mac I have two T7 's and one of them had trouble so it seems to be hit and miss.

0 Likes
useroqSvwzy2xJ
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

some problem, macOS usb c and windows test
write 50 mb problem, read very good. 

E_tZ-ckXsAkQbak.jpeg

0 Likes
userp6cynfrQML
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi all. I am struggling with same problem. I tried all of them. Also update the firmware after this issue but no solution. 

There is no any damage (dropping or any physical) on the T7 Touch 2TB and also its original cable. If it is necessary but the Samsung app also works. I hope some get solved.

0 Likes