cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userHWHIvMVQBp
Constellation

Strange read and write speeds on EVO 970 1TB M.2 SSD in a Macbook Pro 15" 2015 MID

Hi,

I have installed the EVO 970 1TB SSD in my MBP 15" 2015 Mid. I use the Sintech adaptor for this...

I use Black Magic Speed test and get write speed of plus 2500MB/S and read speed of just under 2200MB/S

I would expect the read speed to be faster than the write speed? Or are we talking a lot of write cache involved?

Under system info I can see that the M.2 SSD is connected by 4 lanes and 8 GT/s

I also have a 960 EVO 1TB and this disk seems faster on reads - can this be true?

I am using the latest 2xxxxxx firmware from Samsung Magician 5.2.1

BR Flemming Dahlhof Jensen

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Strange read and write speeds on EVO 970 1TB M.2 SSD in a Macbook Pro 15" 2015 MID

The 970 EVO on my Intel gaming platform also runs 2500 MBs writes using Crystal Disk.

However it consistantly runs 3500 MBs reads which is where I expect it to be.

Drive results will vary according to the hardware/software platform they are running on.

You can use this site ssd.userbenchmark.com to compare different drives performance in a benchmark setting.

userVdspgLxb6S
Constellation

Re: Strange read and write speeds on EVO 970 1TB M.2 SSD in a Macbook Pro 15" 2015 MID

I've just recently bought a 970 EVO 500GB for myself and, unfortunately, it seems to be experiencing the same issue as yours. More specifically, my read and write speed coincide at roughly 2.5gb/s: write-wise, that's within specs but, as fa as read goes, I'm about 1gb/s slower than expected. I've tested it with Atto, Crystal Disk and with its own Magician software, both as OS drive and not and all of them return consistent results. I'm sure everything is in order, I've even installed Samsung's NVME driver in all test drives but nothing changes. The only possible culprit I can think of is the motherboard, an Asrock Z97 Extreme6 which is the very first mobo to provide full PCIEx4 speeds. Said modo has also gone through its good share of ordeals. Could that be the problem? TYIA