Original topic:

System defaults to Windows Boot Manager and not UEFI/SSD

(Topic created: 06-27-2021 12:11 PM)
AARRGGHH
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I purchased a SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S2T0B/AM). 

I have a Dell Precision 5820 workstation, which does not have M.2 slots, nor does my drive bay have the PCIe backplane.  So I installed the SSD in a PCIe slot and used an M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter expansion card.

The source HDD is 1TB, the target SSD is 2TB.

I used Samsung’s data migration tool to clone the SSD.

If the HDD is removed, the SSD will boot the OS and work fine.  But once I add the HDD back, the system boots to the HDD instead of the SSD.  The HDD is 1TB, and I don’t want to toss it; I want to use it as additional storage.

I went into BIOS and changed the boot order, listing UEFI/my SSD to boot first. However, it still boots to the HDD.

I removed Windows Boot Manager from the boot order entirely. However, it still boots to the HDD.

I press F12 to get a boot menu; I select the SSD. And it still boots to the HDD.

I just want to get the HDD loaded with the SSD as the OS/Boot drive so I can format it with another drive letter and use the space.  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
0 Replies