Original topic:

T5 SSD not working on macOS Big Sur 11.3.1

(Topic created: 05-15-2021 08:55 AM)
KevinProx
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I tried updating the SamsungPortableSSD software to 1.6.8 and it shows "DISCONNECTED - No Samsung Portable SSD is connected.".

Tried connecting the SSD disk on another device (Android) and it worked fine, so it's not a hardware issue. Tested on Big Sur 11.2.3 and 11.3.1, same result, cannot get it recognized.

Is there anything I can do to get it working?

8 Replies
SameX
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Booting iMac 27-inch Retina 5K display (iMac18,3; mid 2017) from Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB (no Samsung software or driver installed) with macOS 11.3.1 (20E241) Big Sur works well initially.

But after a few minutes, the Mac shuts down automatically and cannot be turned on pressing the power button. The only way to boot then is to reset the SMC:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

Resetting the PRAM and booting in safe mode and then rebooting normally does not fix it. No problem with previous versions like macOS 10.12.6 (16G1815) Sierra. So, this seems an incompatibility between the Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB and such iMac model at least.

How to fix such serious problem? Thanks!

0 Likes
SameX
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Note to Admins: if you are not logged in, this site allows you to post, but then the message is lost. Really frustrating! Using Safari 14.1 (16611.1.21.161.6) on macOS 11.3.1 (20E241) Big Sur.

UPDATE - STOP THE PRESS:

After checking, it was concluded that the problem was NOT in the Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB, but in such particular iMac. No problem with other T5 disks and no problem with other Macs.

0 Likes
KevinProx
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi, just to add some information I missed in the original post:

I'm not using an iMac, I faced the issue on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017). With Big Sur 11.2.3 and Big Sur 11.3.1.

Regards,

0 Likes
Jetster
Galaxy
Options
Monitors and Memory
If the SSD has a fingerprint reader then it has a chance to not work with MacOS because it is a foreign device to the software.
0 Likes
SameX
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory
0 Likes
userNWNbolyS5W
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hey Kevin -

I am having the exact same problem with my T5. I chatted with a Samsung rep and they told me that it was a hardware issue and to send it in for repairs. I am skeptical that's it's an hardware issue. I am following this thread. Please let me know if you figure it out! 

0 Likes
usermfDdvjwL0M
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am having exactly the same problem. I am using Big Sur 11.3.1 and a new MacBook Air M1. The T5 connects and shows up on desktop but the Samsungportablessd app (version 1.6.8) shows no connection. I am also having problem ejecting the drive.

Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello KevinProx,

Please read the following carefully,

The reason why your Portable SSD T5 is not seen on your MAC, but it is being seen on Android. Is that, Apple, especially with the newer version of OSX, tends to block third party software that is not directly from Apple or the App store. This is commonly done by Apple's security settings. When your MAC, sees an application that is installed but is not trusted by Apple, it will restrict the access or permissions of that third party software. This has been common practice for Apple for quite some time and affects most third part application not installed from the App store.

In this case, it is clear, that the Samsung Portable SSD software 1.6.8 is being blocked by OSX Big Sur. Now that your Samsung Portable SSD software 1.6.8 is being blocked, you must allow it through your system security.

To allow third party software on almost all Apple computers, you must access your security and privacy settings to allow the software. This is the same for all third party software that are blocked by apple security.
Samsung does provide a guide on how to go through your security setting and gives an explanation of these possible security restrictions too. To follow Samsung's Guide please see the link below.

Now, if your Apple computer is not giving you the options to allow third party software. You must contact Apple so that they can give the full permissions needed to the Samsung Portable SSD software 1.6.8. Samsung cannot provide the full permissions to the Samsung Portable SSD software 1.6.8, only Apple can do this for you as there are security setting in OSX that need to be changed, if the allow options are not being given to you by the Apple computer itself through its security settings.

Samsung's Guide and explanation - https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com/global.semi.static/Troubleshooting+Guide+for+macOS+Compatibi...

Samsung's download page - (Please look for Samsung's Portable SSD Software Compatibility Troubleshooting Guide for MacOS)
- https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Apple own website, also mentions how System Extension from third party developers may be blocked automatically- https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment-reference-macos/kernel-extensions-in-macos-apd37565d329/w...