userGmLFzYmdXV
Constellation

Re: T5 SSD not working with macOS 10.15 Catalina

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My temporary solution for now: 

1. Plug it to a Windows machine
  2. Enter password, go to settings, turn off encryption
  3. In my case it told me to update to version 1.6.5, did that as well

If I plug it now into my Mac again the Samsung software does not show up, I can just directly access my files. So at least I can continue working like usual for now. 

For sure this is not a real solution, I will take a look from time to time and see if there is an update for the mac drivers as well ... 

userPqFsz2OuT0
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

...so, what did updating to 1.6.5 do for you?

userKDRCglXjGF
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank-you you're a lifesaver this worked for me. It just means I have to deal with no encryption for a while until Samsung updates their software to work with Catalina.

userAnfIWjMqwe
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem with my Mac on Catalina. Unbelievable that SAMSUNG!!! would put me in this position. Get your act together NOW!!!

Will2311
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I AGREE, completely unacceptable behavior from this company yet again, they release a product and then forget about it. Samsung doesn't care about its customers so we should stop supporting them. This problem was identified in JUNE!!!! When the Catalina beta was released. It is now mid-October and the actual update has paralyzed anyone that upgraded their laptop. Samsung should have released a memo telling T5 users to not update until they released a t5 patch, but instead, they sat back and did nothing, and are now ignoring their customers. Pathetic.

user1z2WIitUdi
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is crazy. Please update your software and support the hardware that you sell. 

userNMbabHlffW
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recently had email exchanges with Samsung Support. They are well aware that the software doesn't work with Catalina. However, they offered no timeline for when/if the software would be updated to be compatible. I tried 1.6.2 and 1.6.5. Neither worked. For the time being, I am using the 1.6.0 drivers (somehow) without a password and at least my TimeMachine backups continue to work. Ridiculous. This is not the first time I have had trouble with their software. The last time, I was locked out of the drive and had to jump through hoops to regain access. Now regretting that I bought a non-Apple product for external storage no matter how slim and light and portable and fast it is (when you can use it)...

user64zdEz3Lfz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thinking of installing OSX Catilina as an external boot.   According to the the replies, Catalina will not reconize the T5.  I will completely format the drive using windows or Mac.

userERW5MO5SV4
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Agreed! Why is it taking so long? I desperately need access to my data and I can't access any of it. I don't have a samsung phone and I still don't understand why every other company can just allow us to use their harddrive but Samsung requires me to use their software. This is extremely inconvenient and if this is going to happen every year I'm never purchasing one of their products again.

Highlighted
userzg30D3oDFe
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am getting the same message on Catalina on a Macbook Pro 2017.  However, the application version on the drive is 1.6.2.35.  If I try to run the file from the drive I get the grey Software installation window.  If I choose yes to install it and then click continue, continue, install, and then Continue Installation, I get the error this package is incompatible with this version of MacOS (installation shows 1.6.0).  I then click the Quit button and the login window appears and I can unlock the drive.  I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't work on the first attempt and I have to attempt it the second time and it will work.  Once the drive is unlocked it performs fine.  I copied the application over to my desktop and it will also work but usually after the second attempt.  I have tried installing 1.6.5 but it fails every time with no success.  Just thought I would share this as I discovered it last week after upgrading to Catalina and trying to unlock two T5 SSDs I own.  I just installed the 10.15 patch and it still works.  It's still aggrevating but at least I can get to my files until Samsung issues a new version that works with Catalina.