Original topic:

T7 Touch not recognised

(Topic created: 08-18-2020 02:24 AM)
user54ULG6RkiN
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

When I connect the T7 Touch to my MacBook Pro, it does not recognise it on the software ("no Samsung Portable SSD is connected"). Is this because I am on MacOS Big Sur beta?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userLUOBqF4Kw7
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I had the same issue. This is not a Samsung issue, its a Big Sur issue. The first time you are to install the software it prompts you to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and under the General tab you are to find a Notification under the "Allow apps downloaded from:" section. If you miss that at the first installation it will never appear again unless you switch macOs in recovery mode and disable kernel extensions blocking. Unistall the Samsung Portable SSD utility using the script inside the Application contents. Follow the guidelines in the medium article to disable the feature mentioned above. Then reinstall the Samsung Portable SSD utility and you will get the notification saying the extension has been blocked. Click on go to Security & Privacy settings and under The General tab you will see the text I described earlier. Unlock the settings and click on details. Tick on Samsung Electronics close the details window and restart your Mac as prompted. Then, remove your Samsung Portable SSD and open the Samsung Portable SSD utility. Connect your SSD press refresh and you should be fine. Lastly, reboot to recovery mode and enable the kernel extensions blocking feature.

Enjoy!

View solution in context

23 Replies
userBK4dtoHEjL
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

No, not at all. I am on Catalina WITH the same problem.

LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory

Unfortunately my T7 is no longer recognized in the Samsung SSD app either while using Big Sur. However the T7 still shows up in Finder and is fully functional. 

user739KdSGDoi
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue here mac os 10.15.6 catalina , any idea how to fix it?

ItayB
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

same here!

functional via Finder but the app doesn't recognize the device.

In addition, I set the password+finger print security in my Android device and the disk is still available from Finder - security bridge?

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory

@ItayB wrote:

same here!

functional via Finder but the app doesn't recognize the device.

In addition, I set the password+finger print security in my Android device and the disk is still available from Finder - security bridge?

If you are getting access to the full drive, I think that you may have turned off the security accidentally.

With security enabled, you only see a small read-only partition of the drive. That allows you to install the SSD software and provides some read me files but that is it. 

0 Likes
user56dUbwRGZR
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Mac OSXs due to the Apple policy that requires user approval when installing third-party software not directly distributed by Apple. Please follow these troubleshooting guidelines. You may see the “System Extension Blocked” message appears when installing the Samsung Portable SSD software, and the “No Samsung Portable SSD is connected” message appears when executing the Samsung Portable SSD software. Open “Security & Privacy” in “System Preferences” menu and click “Allow” next to the message “System software from developer “Samsung Electronics” was blocked from loading” (Thanks for Hector from nfm, helped for me)

ItayB
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks!

I uninstalled the software, downloaded again from Samsung website, installed (required restart), and then allowed the "Samsung Electronics" as you suggested and walla! this is now working!

thanks thanks thanks.

now I'm facing a new issue, seems like there's an update to the device but I'm getting a red alert (in app):

NOTICE: Close any other software that is accessing the Samsung Portable SSD before proceeding. Disconnecting the device during the update may cause damage to the device.

Everything is closed, I just restarted the computer - what do I miss here?

0 Likes
userzlJkcEsACx
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I did see the “System Extension Blocked” message the first time, but now I can't make it happen again. I uninstalled, rebooted and re-installed the Samsung SSD app I don't know how many times, and it just keeps going through without a hitch, so there is no more "Allow" to click on in “System Preferences / Security & Privacy”, and I keep seeing the dreaded "No Samsung Portable SSD is connected" once I start it. This is getting old fast. I'm close to returning it.

This is on macOS 11.0 Big Sur.

user3aVDb1H4F9
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am having the exact same issue - I even tried re-installing macOS but to no avail. Even when you are first presented with the warning during installation, if I immediatly go into System Preferences > Security & Privicy before re-starting, there is no 'Allow' button. I've even altered the system start-up security settings, but it makes no difference.

Multiple re-installs of the software also make no difference. It simply doesn't work.

A complete joke - I spesifically paid more for this drive to have the security features. I'll be returning it. To all the  Samsung faithful users out there who hate Apple - this is why I avoid Samsung products!