JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

T7 Touch not recognised

(Topic created: 01-27-2021 01:32 PM)
user54ULG6RkiN
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

When I connect the T7 Touch to my MacBook Pro, it does not recognise it on the software ("no Samsung Portable SSD is connected"). Is this because I am on MacOS Big Sur beta?

user7v5A2VXkLw
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Here's a not-so-ideal fix for mac users... I use the Paragon NTFS utility so I can bridge my NTFS hard drives back and forth between my mac and pc more easily.

After no solutions for the software to recognize the drive, I formatted to NTFS and the software recognized it immediately. I'm not sure if re-formatting to exFAT would work or not. 

PS, I averaged around 815 MB/s write and around 915 MB/s read on the NTFS format with using the fingerprint/password encryption. Using a 2019 MBP 16 32gb RAM, i9 2.4GHz with Catalina 10.15.7. As for heat, it became fairly warm about 4-5 minutes into writing data and maintained that temp for the next 4-5 minutes. I wouldn't say hot... about the same temp my MBP can get. Not sure yet how hot it will get with longer-term data transfers. My MBP isn't experiencing any unusual warmth from it being connected. Hope this can be helpful.

0 Likes
Solution
userLUOBqF4Kw7
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I had the same issue. This is not a Samsung issue, its a Big Sur issue. The first time you are to install the software it prompts you to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and under the General tab you are to find a Notification under the "Allow apps downloaded from:" section. If you miss that at the first installation it will never appear again unless you switch macOs in recovery mode and disable kernel extensions blocking. Unistall the Samsung Portable SSD utility using the script inside the Application contents. Follow the guidelines in the medium article to disable the feature mentioned above. Then reinstall the Samsung Portable SSD utility and you will get the notification saying the extension has been blocked. Click on go to Security & Privacy settings and under The General tab you will see the text I described earlier. Unlock the settings and click on details. Tick on Samsung Electronics close the details window and restart your Mac as prompted. Then, remove your Samsung Portable SSD and open the Samsung Portable SSD utility. Connect your SSD press refresh and you should be fine. Lastly, reboot to recovery mode and enable the kernel extensions blocking feature.

Enjoy!

userNHRIED7RIC
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

So this particular path did NOT work for my M1 Macbook Air at all. After repeated steps the security option for "Anywhere" was still not recognized and available as option. I ended up using the following script from Application --> Utilities --> Terminal (Not in Recovery Mode) to disable the master in GateKeeper. You will need to enter your mac password after entering the command.

sudo spctl --master-disable

After entering the command the option "anywhere" was available as an install option. However, the T7 still will not set up and still states that the drive is not connected. I am going to clean install Big Sur after resetting the master and see if I can't get that dang pop to show. 

0 Likes
userNHRIED7RIC
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

So after running Configurator 2 on our Macbook Pro to reinstall to factory settings and walking through the entire process from beginning to end, the pop up didn't have an option to change the settings. It gave me the "learn more" button and the OKAY button. That is it. I am not sure if this is due to trying to install the Samsung T7 on the M1 Macbook Air or not. However, the issue is still present that no option is provided in the pop up and, even after disabling and allowing "anywhere" downloads, the security feature of the T7 is not working with my M1. Any additional ideas to get around this? Hoping Samsung will update this with a fix soon. What a waste. I have more than enough solid state drives to use for my data. What I really need is one that is encrypted and cannot be access for business files. Are there any other non Samsung devices out there that work well to secure data?

0 Likes
actionjacksn04
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Were you ever able to get this working right? I'm having these same issues with my 2019 Macbook Pro.

0 Likes
userIsxIiDFx3N
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi, 

Thanks for this. It worked for me but not alone.

On my M1 MacAir, I had to also go to Recovery, Security and allow Kernel (ticked the 2 boxes) and basically reduce the security features as well but this one, you have to keep it that way whereas we can then enable spctl kext-consent command again.  I tried putting it back again and then Samsung app wouldn't work again. 

So in the end, it's a bit frustrating that to enable security features on the Samsung app, you have to disable security features on MacOs. 

Hope this helps. 

Good luck!

0 Likes
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

An Accepted Solution has been marked, and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. We understand the solution marked may not be a solution for everyone, If you have a separate concern or question, feel free to Private message a moderator or post a new thread with additional details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed in order to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find needed content. Remember that if you do make a new post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring. Thank you for being part of the community!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
actionjacksn04
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ok. So I figured out the solution and am going to post my steps here because this drove me insane for a week.

First, make sure you've uninstalled the SSD software. Go to Finder, Applications, drag the software down into the trash.

Second, restart the computer and immediately hold down command r.

Hold that until your Macbook initiates recovery mode.

Third, enter your admin password, and then up in the top left click utilities and then terminal.

Fourth, type in csrutil disable and hit enter. Please note this is for Big Sur, it's different for older OS.

Fifth, restart the computer. After restart reinstall the Samsung SSD program. When it asks you to allow the app MAKE SURE you go to system preferences, security & privacy, click on the lock in the lower left and allow the Samsung app. It should now allow the app to authenticate!

Sixth, make sure you re-enable the csrutil by following the steps you used to disable but instead typing csrutil enable.

Hope this helps someone because I couldn't find the answer for Big Sur anywhere and this worked perfectly for me!

userBup0QPPnK5
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Not working at all

0 Likes
MiguelFCh
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Neither with mine.

The problem is with my new M1 2020 Macbook Pro. It doesn't even recognize the T7, T5, etc. It is a Samsung software bug with the M1 new Apple Processor. It is working with my other 2018 Intel Macbook AIr without a hitch.

SAMSUNG please fix this software, ANY M1 Macbook user can use it!!!!!

The problem is worst, not just with the T7 touch, but even with the standard T7, T5, is not possible work in a M1 processor Macbook line.

0 Likes