JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Things I've learned with my new C32HG70

(Topic created: 12-08-2020 01:23 PM)
useryI6Q30uc24
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Issue #1 - 144hz refresh rate was missing in windows (Win10 x64) if FreeSync was enabled for the monitor

Solution: Update the Monitor Software/firmware.  original software was version 1004.0, upgrade to 1009.1 resolved the issue and remained resolved moving to 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2 as well.

The path to knolwledge: Hooking up a brand new C32HG70 to a new AMD Rx Vega 64, and windows 10 x64 Enterprise saw the max resolution as 120hz.

Initially to me, the symptom seemed to be that the PnP Monitor default options (60hz, 100hz, and 120hz) when I first plugged in the monitor were maintained even after I download and installed the C32HG7xQQ driver (Mar-2017)... so it almost looked like the driver didn't fully install... well didn't solve the issue anyway.

I tried a new DP cable that I purchased, tried uninstalling/reinstalling monitor drivers, even uninstalled/reinstalled AMD's drivers... all ended up with 120hz being my cap.  Then tried lowering the resolution from 1440P to 1080p... still 120hz max.

Finally I thought I'd try disable FreeSync in the monitor settings... and low and behold 144hz finally showed up in windows.  Enabled monitor Freesync standard engine again and 144hz dropped off... even tried FreeSync ultimate engine and 144hz was still no where to be seen.

The monitor's OSD always showed 144hz even in freesync mode, it just doesn't translate that to the OS.  The end result is that many games (like Grim Dawn) give a list of resolutions/frequencies to pick from in their settings... and they typically inherit windows display settings.... so if the OS doesn't see 144hz as an option, neither does the game.

I did a software/Firmware update from 1004.0 to 1009.1 and 144hz started working like it should!

Issue #2 When I first plugged in my monitor, I noticed the display was heavily inspired by red, and looked rather pinkish.

Solution: Set 6500K color temp in Radeo Settings for monitor.

The path to knolwledge: This was resolved by trial and error (really by accident) of various settings while playing with various settings in Radeon Settings.  I've been using intel/nvidia based systems for at least the past decade, so I had alot to learn and experiment with in Radeon Settings.  Was very happy to discover this setting.  I will also note that some changes I've made while learning (more related to uninstalling/reinstalling drivers) that this 6500K color setting can get lost... so always remember to check it if you notice the pinkish color came back.

Issue #3 There seems to be many threads where people are trying to using the wrong firmware/software version, thinking that the 27" and 32" versions are identical.  Often the reported symptom when flashing the wrong firmware is that the display got dimmer.

Solution: Only use the Monitor Software/firmware that matches your monitor.

The path to knolwledge: My original software was version 1004.0, and I have upgraded to 1009.1, 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2 without noticing any dimming.  All versions specific to my 32" monitor, never renaming a 27" file.  I will also provide a quote from the manual related to "dimming"/brightness... "If Response Time is set to Faster or Fastest mode, a decrease occurs in the screen brightness. This is a normal phenomenon and not a product malfunction."

Issue #4 I've read another thread that suggested FreeSync2 may become disabled for this monitor, and what worried me was that it would be delivered by software/firmware update.  To me, the real issue here is that Samsung does not provide a change log for their updates so we can see what is changing.

Solution:  I don't have one, Samsung would need to provide.

The path to knolwledge: Specific to the FreeSync2 "concern"... as mentioned above, my original software was version 1004.0, and I have upgraded to 1009.1, 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2.  With 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2, I do know that I finally paid enough attention to see the FreeSync2 logo  slapped on the drawn monitor.  So if there is a plan to disable FreeSync2, I assume the inclussion of the logo means it's still active/enabled for 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2 (and I assume for the 1004.0 and 1009.1 versions before it).  Kind of sad if I'm pinning my hopes/faith to a logo.

Issue #5 I'm beginning to learn that the Freesync range for this monitor is rather "shallow".  The impact is that you'd need to get fairly high FPS to see the freesync kick in, but one could argue that if you had the killer framerates to begin with, was FreeSync really required?  Seems that the current shallow freesync range is a pretty big miss.

Solution:  The full 48-144hz freesync range is now enabled with the 1016.2 montior firmware!

The path to knolwledge: I wish I knew that hoving my mouse over the Radeon Settings Freesync "badge" would have told me the range when I was back on earlier versions of the monitor firmware, but I can tell you know that with 1013.0 that the FreeSync range is 72-144hz (using Ultimate Engine; Standard Engine is 120-144)... and according to a reddit post, this change likely started back with 1009.1.

I have some pretty aggressive game settings enabled that drop me below 72hz at times (highest settings), but I have two changes happening that will likely increase my minimums.  The first is a client update I know is coming to ESO to increase their frame rates (my current game of choice)/  The second is a planned upgrade to my system memory.  The old DDR4 RAM I used for my Threadripper is clocked at 2133, and I'd like to get a new kit in the 3200+ range.  Based on a post I read (and my memory), one person claimed that the Infinity Fabric improvements moving from 2133 to 3000 brought about 30% increased frame rates.  Even if that's only 1/3 true (10% increase), that could be just enough to keep me in the bottom-mid of the 72-144hz range for FreeSync at all times... and perhaps closer to the mid-top of the range depending on what ESO delivers with their client FPS improvement promise.  And I guess I should not discount the role played by improvements to the Rx Vega 64 drivers over time, as well as my continued tinkering with Wattman.

47 Replies
Valkyrie Shana
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Lateral18 wrote:
Thank you for explaining that to me, now I understand it better. I feel so much better that o wasn't the only only one with that issue. A work around I found, is to disable freesync from radeon settings (still have it on under monitor settings ). Use vsync and enchance sync together. I don't get any tear, stuttering or ghosting or the annoying crown or glow.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1630-freesync-2-explained

(sharing knowledge like that, is a good use of the community)

I wish I would know that before I bought the monitor.

There is a firmware update, still the glow effect is there.

The glow you speak of is to do with the overdrive function on the monitor, which should be solvable by firmware.

Basically this glow trail is known as reverse/inverse ghosting (aka corona) and it seems to have something to do with overshoot on the overdrive during freesync.

My understanding of it is that when the led/pixel goes from something light (character) to something dark (background) then the led/pixel can't discharge fast enough, due to too much power caused by too-high overdrive, to go from light to dark pixel so a glowing trail is left for 1 frame (probably most obvious when fps is on the low side of Freesync since it's on screen for longer and you can see it easier). On my CHG70 it appears purple and only really noticed it so far when on the low-fps side of the FreeSync range on both HDMI and DP.

I've read on Blurbusters that a solution to the glow is to lower the overdrive setting when this is encountered, but overdrive is locked out to normal on this monitor when using FreeSync so if Samsung can add in a new option to use Normal (what we are using now) and an option a Lower overdrive when on Freesync (instead of normal, faster, fastest) which means that we can choose between reverse-ghosting and normal ghosting when using freesync.

0 Likes
Lateral18
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Do you think they will do that? 

The latest firmware didn't do anything at all. 

I also wonder if LFC works without freesync. 

The glow effect on low light scenarios is really bad 

0 Likes
user0NMxB6b1IL
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello I kept this monitor with hopes that with Firmware uodates this monitor would perform better in HDR. I still see very dull colors when playing with HDR ON I recently got Forza Horizon 4 and colors look really dull with HDR on in this monitor and also in BF1. Has anyone found a solution? I use an Nvidia GTX 1080 ti as my graphics card. 

Edit: Is like my brightness was actually lower with HDR enabled. 

0 Likes
usermz9yzP6zne
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory
@user0NMxB6b1IL wrote:

Hello I kept this monitor with hopes that with Firmware uodates this monitor would perform better in HDR. I still see very dull colors when playing with HDR ON I recently got Forza Horizon 4 and colors look really dull with HDR on in this monitor and also in BF1. Has anyone found a solution? I use an Nvidia GTX 1080 ti as my graphics card. 

Edit: Is like my brightness was actually lower with HDR enabled. 

I have this issue as well with a 1080 Ti SLI setup. I managed to get HDR to activate properly in one game (Assassin's Creed Odyssey) for about 10 seconds, then it went back to being dull and washed out.

I'm starting to lean towards it being an Nvidia issue, but who knows at this point. I have notice a lot of posts in my Google research about this that point towards Nvidia drivers having broken HDR in Windows 10 after the 387.xx drivers. If that's the case, it hasn't been fixed yet.

0 Likes
Lateral18
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Looks like with the latest driver update the glow went away for me .

Now is a new firmware upgrade 

0 Likes
userRWgLmw0vq1
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am having the same exact issue like this thread talks about

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Monitors/C49HG90-will-not-wake-from-sleep-OR-BEING-SHUT-OFF-FOR-...

But with this monitor I bought C32HG70, any solution to make my monitor start after sleep for more than 10 mins? I always have to replugg the power cord to make it work or else it stops working compleltly. 

userazyRmZYHre
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

My 32 inch only updates with the 27 inch firmware. Have you run into that before by chance? Any way to get that switched over? Using the 32 firmware I get this message when updating: "No valid update files found". 

This post might be dead. But hey guys gotta try. 

0 Likes
usermO3g1jE5LD
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Question for You:  I purchased the CHG90 Montior at 144Hz.  I use a Starview KVM switch which has a DVI female connector.  I went to Amazon to purchase an adapter and it said it would NOT work with 144Hz.  I called Samsung and they gave me company policy to removed ALL junctions so that it is strictly a montior /PC direct connection.  I note that you have had something similar as I am looking for a workaround solution.  If I purchase these Amazon adapters will it simply just bump down to 120Hz and still function?  I quickly read something about dual feed something which totally confused me.  Can you offer a workaround.  The adapter I will purchase is a DVI Male to HDMI Female.  Thanks

0 Likes