JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unable To Update 980 Pro Firmware to 5B2QGXA7 With Magician 7.2.1

(Topic created: 02-03-2023 01:57 AM)
Big_Friendly
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have a 980 Pro 2TB SSD with Heat Sink.  It has firmware 4B2QGXA7.  Magician says update firmware to 5B2QGXA7.  When doing the Firmware Update it says wait 20 seconds then fails.  It says "Failed to update firmware on the selected drive."

I am running Windows 11 Pro 22H2 on an Intel NUC11TNBi7 i7 1165G7 with 64GB Ram.

All Software on the NUC is up to date using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

What is going on here?

Zt3Ph3N
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Now it worked for me.

I tried it several times without closing the Magician window and 1 min delay between the retries. The third one successfully updated the SSD.

DougLife_
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I was having the same problem but just kept trying and it eventually worked. 

0 Likes
whd
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

As there is this new bug i wanted to update my SSD - 989 PRO 1TB which uses 3B2QGXA7 software

when i run update in  Magician software it ends with "Failed to update firmware on the selected driver" and nothing more, how can i update it?

0 Likes
Frigisam
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have installed Samsung magician 7.2.1. on windows 11 but the app only recognize my 980 PRO as a simple 980 and tells me some features are not supported (like the diagnostic scan).

"Driver siliconMotion 10.4.49.0 The device is connected to the driver that magician does not support."

How can i fix this ?

Thank you.

0 Likes
superdeleted
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I still have had no luck. Tried what a couple users above had work for them and just kept trying but I've lost count now with how many I have tried with exact same error everytime that it failed to update selected drive (which is my 980 Pro 1TB) My other main drive is the 990 Pro and it shows as having the latest firmware, which isn't surprising as they just recently started shipping out to consumers. I too am worried about having my 980Pro on the 3B firmware reading about the issue ruining the drive.

I also have tried the boot usb option but because I am on RAID I can't boot into unbunto. 

0 Likes
Solution
tanner1
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

For me, the firmware update was failing and it was because of Windows Security blocking the tool from accessing the C drive.

Go to the protection history and look for the recent one for the Samsung tool.  Allow it and the upgrade ran successfully for me.

MikeMeinz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

That download protection setting is turned off on my PC. This is the message I see on the Protection History page of Settings / Privacy & Security / Windows Security / Account Protection:

The setting to block potentially
unwanted app downloads is
turned off. Your device may be
vulnerable.

I have tried disabling Auto-Protect and Smart Firewall in my Norton 360 configuration and the firmware update still fails. Same error in the Samsung Magician Service log: "DownloadFW failed, err: 3". 

0 Likes
superdeleted
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

yeah I have no evbents appearing in protection history when running the update and it fails. I read somewhere it had something to do with being in RAID mode which is also why i apparently can't boot to unetbootin or whatever its called that they use to do their manual update.  😞

0 Likes
Matis1985
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've manage to update my SSD after few failed attempt. I've klicked update button until i've succeed. It took me about few minutes. 

0 Likes
MikeMeinz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Matis1985 
That experience would indicate that there are several webservers serving the downloads page and at least one of them is configured correctly. 

0 Likes