cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nick_name
Constellation

Upgraded 970 EVO firmware (2B2QEXE7) and now cannot use BCLK higher than 101 for CPU overclocking

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I mistakenly upgraded my firmware for my 970 EVO after installing the Magician software.  Now I cannot overclock my Ryzen 2700X with BCLK values higher than 101 without the CPU multiplier being lowered to 36.5 after booting into Windows.  On my ASUS Crosshair VII I can use asynchronous BCLK values higher than 101 without affecting the CPU multiplier, but that method adds RAM latency so it isn't preferred.  I assume this is to prevent the performance or health of the Samsung 970 EVO from degrading, but it is not ok for Samsung to govern the behavior of the CPU through the 970 EVO's firmware.  

I have gone through every logical step to troubleshoot the behavior of my CPU with BCLK values above 101 and this is the only conclusion I could draw:  the firmware (2B2QEXE7) for the Samsung 970 EVO is crippling the CPU multiplier.  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nick_name
Constellation

Re: Upgraded 970 EVO firmware (2B2QEXE7) and now cannot use BCLK higher than 101 for CPU overclockin

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please disregard my post and my apologies to Samsung for assuming they were the culprit.  It was a setting in BIOS that was changed and not noticed.  Hours and hours of hair pulling and it was an oversight by myself in not recognizing a separate change in BIOS that coincided  with the upgrade of the 970 EVO firmware or subsequently.  

1 REPLY 1
nick_name
Constellation

Re: Upgraded 970 EVO firmware (2B2QEXE7) and now cannot use BCLK higher than 101 for CPU overclockin

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please disregard my post and my apologies to Samsung for assuming they were the culprit.  It was a setting in BIOS that was changed and not noticed.  Hours and hours of hair pulling and it was an oversight by myself in not recognizing a separate change in BIOS that coincided  with the upgrade of the 970 EVO firmware or subsequently.