cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userQLQ90X3oJa
Asteroid

What is your Hardware ID for 850 Pro, and with what firmware level?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having problems in a Win7 environment with my Samsung 850 Pro SSD, because of a "generic" Hardware ID that got installed with the firmware upgrade to the latest version EXM04B6Q on my 512GB and 1TB drives, whereas there was a "unique" Hardware ID installed on my smaller 256GB and 128GB drives.

Depending on the size of the drive the resulting Hardware ID varies, resulting in differences in Win7 Device Manager (for the disk drive name).  This impacts AIDA64 running in the Win7 environment which seems to be impacted in some way by the Device Manager name, and thus does NOT pick up SMART data as it should, so no drive temperature is shown... but only for the larger 512GB and 1TB drives that have the "generic" Hardware ID values.  The two smaller 256GB and 128GB drives whihc have the "unique" Hardware ID values, these do not negatively impact Win7 Device Manager disk drive names, and thus to NOT impact AIDA64 which correctly picks up SMART data for these smaller drives, and thus does display drive temperature properly.

Interestingly, Win10 Device Manager doesn't have the same problem (even though the Hardware ID is the same as it is for Win7, of course), and consequently the disk drive names show up correctly, and consequently AIDA64 runs fine in Win10 and picks up SMART data and displays drive temperature without an issue.

One more point... both HWINFO64 and CrystalDiskInfo work correctly in both Win7 and Win10, so those products obviously don't depend entirely on Hardware ID or Device Manager, but are somehow able to detect the drive brand/model/size properly using their own independent techniques.  So the new "generic" Hardware ID in the 850 Pro 512GB and 1TB models do not impact HWINFO64 and CrystalDiskInfo at all, with all SMART information properly presented.

I have an open ticket with AIDA64 that they are working on resolving it, as clearly they shouldn't fail to read SMART data from the 850 Pro with EXM04B6Q firmware as they are currently failing to do.

But in the meantime, I am curious to know what your Hardware ID values are for your 850 Pro drives.  Please provide the Hardware ID and also firmware version, as well as (a) drive size, and (b) Win7 or (c) Win10 Device Manager disk drive name.  If you can provide (d) HWINFO64 drive model also world wide name, and (e) CrystalDiskInfo name, that too please.

Here are my own values.

(1) 512GB with EXM04B6Q

(a) Hardware ID:  SCSI\DiskSamsung_SSD_____________EXM0

(b) Win7 Device Manager disk drive name:  "Samsung SSD SCSI Disk Device"

(c) Win10 Device Manager disk drive name:  "Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB"

(d) HWINFO64 drive name:  "Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB", world wide name:  50025388400576F2

(e) CrystalDiskInfo:  "Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB"

(2) 1TB with EXM04B6Q

(a) Hardware ID:  SCSI\DiskSamsung_SSD_____________EXM0

(b) Win7 Device Manager disk drive name:  "Samsung SSD SCSI Disk Device"

(c) Win10 Device Manager disk drive name:  n/a

(d) HWINFO64 drive name:  "Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB", world wide name:  5002538C4043F52C

(e) CrystalDiskInfo:  "Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB"

(3) 128GB with EXM04B6Q

(a) Hardware ID:  SCSI\Disk_Samsun_SSD_850_Pro_128GEXM0

(b) Win7 Device Manager disk drive name:  "Samsun SSD 850 Pro 128G SCSI Disk Device"

(d) HWINFO64 drive name:  "Samsung SSD 850 Pro 128GB", world wide name:  50025388401AD82D

(e) CrystalDiskInfo:  "Samsung SSD 850 Pro 128GB"

(4) 256GB with EXM04B6Q

(a) Hardware ID:  SCSI\DiskSamsung_SSD_850_PRO_256GEXM0

(b) Win7 Device Manager disk drive name:  "Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB"

(d) HWINFO64 drive name:  n/a

(e) CrystalDiskInfo:  n/a

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userQLQ90X3oJa
Asteroid

Re: What is your Hardware ID for 850 Pro, and with what firmware level?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok. Problem finally solved.

Wasn't really a Samsung 850 Pro hardware issue per se, even though I'm sure it started when I upgraded the firmware to EXM04B6Q.  Somehow this must have interacted differently with Intel RST (which is also installed, even though this is a non-RAID configuration and I'm running my SATA drives purely as AHCI) to cause the problem for AIDA64 in Win7.

For some reason, AIDA64 in Win7 is now seeing the SATA drives being managed by Intel RST as if they were somehow RAID-related, and as such the two RAID-related options of AIDA64 needed to be checked, in order to then facilitate retrieving SMART data and specifically drive temperature.  I hadn't had these two RAID options checked previously, since I am not really running RAID, and even though Intel RST had been installed for a long time.

As I said, something about the upgrade to firmware EXM04B6Q caused some change in the environment (which I believe is the demonstrated by the new Hardware ID value for the 512GB and 1TB models), and now AIDA64 in Win7 suddenly didn't automatically know how to talk to the 850 Pro and thus required the two RAID options to be checked, whereas previously they didn't have to be checked.

As to why the 128GB drive is handled correctly by AIDA64 even though the two RAID options are NOT checked on that machine, I don't know. Perhaps it's because the Hardware ID of the 128GB drive looks like it used to, and didn't change with EXM04B6Q.  I don't know.

Anyway, case closed. Now that i've checked the two RAID-related options for AIDA64 on the machines with the 512GB and 1TB model 850 Pro drives, sure enough now SMART data is retrieved from them and drive temperature is once again reported.

I know it's tied somehow to Intel RST, and EXM04B6Q with the strange Hardware ID only on the 512GB and 1TB models, and AIDA64, and Win7 Device Manager vs. Win10 Device Manager, all working together.  AIDA64 works perfectly in the Win10 environment and reads SMART data and reports drive temperature, even with the strange Hardware ID, and does NOT need to have the two RAID-related options checked in order to work perfectly.  It's only in the Win7 environment with its Device Manager that something runs amuck.  I'm sure it's tied to the EXM04B6Q upgrade.

But it's all behind me now. I don't care anymore.

And thanks to nobody on this forum, since nobody contributed anything here, and not one single person was kind enough to answer my request for your Hardware ID on your 850 Pro.

3 REPLIES 3
userQLQ90X3oJa
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can no owner of an 850 Pro 512GB or 1TB who has upgraded to EXM04B6Q firmware please provide the Hardware ID shown for your drive?

If more than 100 forum members have viewed this thread, surely you own this drive and all I ask is for a handful of you to please post your Hardware ID.

I need to know if SCSI\DiskSamsung_SSD_____________EXM0 is your value or not, for both 512GB and 1TB models.

And I see SCSI\Disk_Samsun_SSD_850_Pro_128GEXM0 for 128GB model.

And I see SCSI\DiskSamsung_SSD_850_PRO_256GEXM0 for 256GB model.

Do you see the same as I do?

Thanks.

userQLQ90X3oJa
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Truth be told, I am a brand new member of this forum.  But I am a member of several other online forums jointed many years ago, devoted to many things technical.

And in those other forums I have been an active participant (as have other members), accumulating many thousands of both my posts as well as replies to posts of others.  Because of my contributions and "likes" or "thanks" or "kudos" by others, I have had my user-rating elevated from newcomer to "mentor" or "guru" or "gold member" or "supporter" or whatever that rating system uses to describe a super-helpful and significantly active participant.

So, this here is my very first thread on the Samsung Memory and Storage community forum. And all I've asked for is that any of the probably 100+ unique users who've looked at this thread, who themselves probably own an 850 Pro which is why they are curious about what I'm asking and why, to please reply to my question.  I want to know if my 850 Pro's which ever since EXM04B6Q now contain a strange ambiguous generic non-specific Hardware ID (which causes a problem in Win7 AIDA64, since because of the problematic Hardware ID no SMART information is being requested by AIDA64, and thus no drive temperature is reported by AIDA64) are unique, or do others have this same strange Hardware ID?

The same strange Hardware ID also shows up in Win10, but Device Manager is different for Win7 and Win10 and the problematic Hardware ID doesn't end up causing a problem for AIDA64 in Win10, but only for AIDA64 in Win7.  I understand all of this, and am trying to get the AIDA64 software vendor to fix the product appropriately so that it will work correctly in Win7, even if Samsung never fixes the BIOS to correct the problematic Hardware ID.

So... can either someone from Samsung staff who is reading this thread, or some other few forum members who are reading this thread, please tell me what your Hardware ID is for the Samsung 850 Pro SSD, specifically for the 512GB and 1TB sizes, but really for any of the four available sizes.

That would be very helpful to me.

Please and thank you.

userQLQ90X3oJa
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok. Problem finally solved.

Wasn't really a Samsung 850 Pro hardware issue per se, even though I'm sure it started when I upgraded the firmware to EXM04B6Q.  Somehow this must have interacted differently with Intel RST (which is also installed, even though this is a non-RAID configuration and I'm running my SATA drives purely as AHCI) to cause the problem for AIDA64 in Win7.

For some reason, AIDA64 in Win7 is now seeing the SATA drives being managed by Intel RST as if they were somehow RAID-related, and as such the two RAID-related options of AIDA64 needed to be checked, in order to then facilitate retrieving SMART data and specifically drive temperature.  I hadn't had these two RAID options checked previously, since I am not really running RAID, and even though Intel RST had been installed for a long time.

As I said, something about the upgrade to firmware EXM04B6Q caused some change in the environment (which I believe is the demonstrated by the new Hardware ID value for the 512GB and 1TB models), and now AIDA64 in Win7 suddenly didn't automatically know how to talk to the 850 Pro and thus required the two RAID options to be checked, whereas previously they didn't have to be checked.

As to why the 128GB drive is handled correctly by AIDA64 even though the two RAID options are NOT checked on that machine, I don't know. Perhaps it's because the Hardware ID of the 128GB drive looks like it used to, and didn't change with EXM04B6Q.  I don't know.

Anyway, case closed. Now that i've checked the two RAID-related options for AIDA64 on the machines with the 512GB and 1TB model 850 Pro drives, sure enough now SMART data is retrieved from them and drive temperature is once again reported.

I know it's tied somehow to Intel RST, and EXM04B6Q with the strange Hardware ID only on the 512GB and 1TB models, and AIDA64, and Win7 Device Manager vs. Win10 Device Manager, all working together.  AIDA64 works perfectly in the Win10 environment and reads SMART data and reports drive temperature, even with the strange Hardware ID, and does NOT need to have the two RAID-related options checked in order to work perfectly.  It's only in the Win7 environment with its Device Manager that something runs amuck.  I'm sure it's tied to the EXM04B6Q upgrade.

But it's all behind me now. I don't care anymore.

And thanks to nobody on this forum, since nobody contributed anything here, and not one single person was kind enough to answer my request for your Hardware ID on your 850 Pro.