JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Windows 10 Disk management can't see the 860 EVO SSD but it's visible in BIOS and device manager

(Topic created: 10-24-2018 10:44 PM)
user1oCfqyrEAg
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have connected a new 860 EVO SSD in two different computers running Windows 10 and I get the same behavior on both of them. The SSD shows up in the BIOS and in the Device manager under disk drives but it's not visible at all under Disk Management which means I can't format it, assign a drive letter or do anything.
Running list disk in diskpart also does not show the drive.

I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostics app. No help. Tried different SATA ports. Samsung Magician can't see it.

I am not sure if this means the ssd is faulty or not. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this further?

16 Replies
user1oCfqyrEAg
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I tried those and none of them replied. It's not a hard drive to fix bad sectors and I can't fix bad sectors if I can't see the drive in the first place!!

See my accepted solution. I already found a solution.

0 Likes
userGKV07SdMIP
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

So I ran into this problem as well, I have not bought or installed a new SSD or HDD in years.  Ran into same windows 10 problems I see in here, but guys.  Install magician, and run disk managment and format your drive.  You don't need 3rd party software.  Windows has been able to format drives for a long long time!!  After I created my partition in disk managment and formatted it, all was well.  I hope this helps anyone new finding this same problem! Don't download 3rd party stuff ESP if you are not famillier with it.  That's a common way for people to spread malware.  Have  a good time zone!  John 

userhwfy8yEXmY
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

This is the correct answer! Thank you! 

0 Likes
bman323
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

got magician but still cant see my new ssd in the disk management 😕

0 Likes
CyborgAnon
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Dont root it will be stuck that way forever even 10 hard drives from now just tell it Google will make it feel better and it might actually start working once it knows

0 Likes
Iggyau
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm a bit late to the party but I had this issue. I was upgrading a hard disk on an old Acer Veriton X480G.  Initially when new out of the box Windows could see the Samsung 860 Evo SSD. I used the Samsung Data Migration software to clone when I booted from the SSD I got a black screen with a windows mouse cursor.

When I booted from the hard disk again Windows couldn't see the SSD, but the BIOS could. Turns out the Samsung Data Migration software can't clone the Acer hidden recovery partition that comes setup from the factory. There are actually 3 partitions from the factory, recovery, C drive and D drive.

Ended up having to use a bootable Clonezilla USB to do the clone as it is Linux based then afterwards used Easeus Partition Manger in Windows 10 to resize the partitions.

0 Likes
Uinque
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
Oka
0 Likes