JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Windows 10 does not recognize SAMSUNG 980 SSD

(Topic created: 12-14-2022 07:36 AM)
userwglCwrrGRy
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Well I know why it is on sale!  Installed and BIOS on Gigabyte board recognizes it but Win10 pro 64 does not see it at all.  Is there a fix for this?  Is it worth the $20 I saved?

SSD SAMSUNG 980 SSD 500GB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280

5 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did you open Disk Management and initialize then partition and format the drive?

Straight out of the box they are blank drives needing to be prepped for use in Windows and Linux systems.

I have 4 980's running in my Linux NAS boxes and 7 980 Pro in my Win 10 turned 11 Gamer machine.

Solution
userwglCwrrGRy
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

It is extremely difficult to format a drive when it doesn't even show up!   I did get it, I don't really know how but after looking in <device manager/disk drives/my drive> firstly the PC recognized it.  I don't know if the whole making a boot drive to install drivers worked or not.  It definitely did not show up in file manager after that.   It was the first place I had seen it in windows at all.  I was able to populate the volume and only after that did it finally appear in disk management.  The whole time Windows 10 could not see it the Gigabyte bios and even the Samsung Magician could see it.  The Sa****g support is probably the worst support I've ever seen.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Since you  don't appear to know how to use Windows Management services for preparing a new drive  you can find a tutorial on the Net.

0 Likes
mckayh16
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

hey daniel. if you have a moment, I need help getting my Samsung 980 pro to be recognized. Its not showing up in BIOS, windows, or disk management. I've tried both m.2 slots on my motherboard, and even attempted to download the samsung driver, but it says its not connected, but I know it is. any ideas of what else I could try?

0 Likes
SmolAaaaame
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same here, found any solutions yet

0 Likes