cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userxQ4WlDqFLQ
Constellation

Windows 10 freezes with Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB and 250 GB)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I think I have a problem with Samsung SSDs in my computer and laptop. Both are 850 EVO - 500 GB in my PC, 250 GB in my laptop.

Here is the problem:

Sometimes Windows 10 completely freezes and there is no disk I/O happening according to task manager, and I can tell that it's true because all of the programs that I have open at the moment paritially or complete stop working as if they can't read/write to disk. The only thing that helps is hard reboot.

However, the GUI is not frozen, I can click on things, though none of them would react most of the time, can't even close the windows (I suspect that the programs can't write to the Windows registry, which is stored on disk, or to some configuration files, so they just block indefinitely on corresponding Windows API calls, hence the freeze).

A couple of times a lost some important files because of this (they were damaged/filled with zeros), so I would like to resolve this issue somehow, hopefully without buying yet another SSD.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RAJUMSC
Cosmic Ray

Re: Windows 10 freezes with Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB and 250 GB)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

1) download latest samsung magician software v5.2.1 from direct downloading link

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/SAMSUNG_SSD_v5_2_1_180523/CD0CFAC4675B9E502...

2) disable  windows defender ,any other  antivirus software , disable firewall , disable secureboot

3) enable  sata port as  ACHI  in bios

4) connect power cable or  charger to laptop  and Using magician software v5.2 , update the latest firmware to  SSD

5) restart the windows

6)  enable  10%  OP of  total space in SSD , restart the windows

7)  disable  bitlocker , and then try to enable  Rapid  mode ,.  and then restart the windows

type below comments in cmd  and press enter

Sfc.exe /ScanNow
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

9 REPLIES 9
RAJUMSC
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

1) download latest samsung magician software v5.2.1 from direct downloading link

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/SAMSUNG_SSD_v5_2_1_180523/CD0CFAC4675B9E502...

2) disable  windows defender ,any other  antivirus software , disable firewall , disable secureboot

3) enable  sata port as  ACHI  in bios

4) connect power cable or  charger to laptop  and Using magician software v5.2 , update the latest firmware to  SSD

5) restart the windows

6)  enable  10%  OP of  total space in SSD , restart the windows

7)  disable  bitlocker , and then try to enable  Rapid  mode ,.  and then restart the windows

type below comments in cmd  and press enter

Sfc.exe /ScanNow
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

user7Z2JKrOd5o
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know this is an old thread but you fixed my issue I was having with my 1T EVO. I would get about 5-10 seconds of pause not to often but enough where I would sometime click on something 3-4 times. After the pause I would get 3-4 web pages come up so it was buffering my clicks. This command you gave found and fixed problems:

Sfc.exe /ScanNow

I have ran more than an month with no issues. I appreciate your help!

JohnN
userWX801NWNCL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, not solved.  I ran through your solution steps and the last CMD command won't even complete.  I get a "file not found" error part way through.  I have an 860 EVO drive installed in an older AMD system with an ASUS motherboard running Windows 10.

RAJUMSC
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

please share screenshots of error messages.

Yesterday I updated new firmware RVT23B6Q

userWX801NWNCL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There are no error messages.  The system locks up.

Highlighted
userWX801NWNCL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am using an 860 EVO 500 GB drive.  I started a separate posting with all the informatinon, but apparently you people deleted it.  I've been dealing with random freezes on a daily basis for seven months.  Magician says I have the latest firmware, version RVT02B6Q.

userbKADl3kmNK
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a lenovo Laptop on Win10 with 1TB Evo 860 Magician v5.2.1 and 4gb Ram shared with GPU

I had occasional crashes. After the 1903 win10 update i measured about 10-12 per day

I have read some threads that uninstall the Enhanced mode in control panel in programs and installation would solve the problem. I did not find anything installed there so I assumed that the rapid mode would do the same thing. So I disabled it. Problem solved !!! Zero Crash. I have cross checked it and re activate and got a crash within 15mins. 

I read that rapid mode uses more Ram where it saves data, programs or part of programs where it executes it when it needs. Bear in mind that when u share ur ram with gpu the system already is drained in Ram by sharing (I have read somewhere that for some clock reasons it also consumes twice as much and uses half! Not an informatics engineer so I cannot explain or understand why). Therefore if there is drainage from both factors you can run very fast out of RAM and get sudden random crashes (any random moment that u need more ram from the pc and it is drained). 

So I HAVE TO DO ANOTHER TEST. I HAVE JUST INSTALLED 8GB RAM ON THE SYSTEM and REACTIVATED THE MAGICIAN. I have been working on the PC some hours and I am currently writing this report with no problems so far. 

I will amend if necessary. If what I claim is true SAMSUNG SHOULD INFORM THE USER ABOUT DRAINAGE ON LOW RAM SYSTEMS OR SYSTEMS WITH SHARED GPU RAM !!!! 

I hope what i have written come helpful for someone and Samsung reads this.

userWX801NWNCL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have never enabled rapid mode.  I have 8 GB of RAM in my system.  It's an older AMD Phenom II system.

I followed the instructions in this thread, but the last CMD line does not run.  I get a "file not found" error when I run it.

Since this thread is about the 850 EVO drive, several months ago I started a new thread on this topic with the 860 EVO SATA SSD.  That thread has been deleted.  I do not know why.  Someone else with the same problem was participating in that discussion, but no one from Samsung ever replied.

usercjSZSZuUja
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I am using an 860 EVO and followed all of your steps. However, the last commands failed: unknown