cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userWX801NWNCL
Constellation

Windows 10 freezes with Samsung 860 EVO SSD (500 GB)

I'm starting a thread with a very similar problem to one that someone had with an 850 EVO SSD back in September 2018 (https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Monitors-and-Memory/Windows-10-freezes-with-Samsung-850-EVO-SSD-...) because the proclaimed fix for that person's problem is not working for me. I installed an 860 EVO SATA SSD a few months ago and ever since Windows 10 randomly freezes. Everything freezes except the mouse pointer. The only thing that helps is the hardware reset switch. Sometimes I can go for weeks without a freeze and some days, like today, it freezes every few minutes. The freeze can happen any time from before the Win10 login screen appears onward. There is no obvious pattern. I have tried the suggested fix at the above link, but the last command line step fails due to "file not found."
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Windows 10 freezes with Samsung 860 EVO SSD (500 GB)

What is the model of your Asus MB?

Did you clone your old drive or do a fresh Win10 install?

How much free space is left on your SSD?

userWX801NWNCL
Constellation

Motherboard is an Asus M5A99 FX Pro 2.0 running an AMD Phenom II X4 945 with 8 GB RAM.

Cloned the previous system drive using EaseUS's TODO Backup program following the instructions listed in PC Magazine's article "How to Copy your Windows Installation to an SSD."

302 GB of free space on the 500 GB SSD.

izephyr
Cosmic Ray

I have the same problem. at first I thought it was my board. But after changing back to another ssd or hdd it solved the issue. I am still wondering if this will be solved at all.