cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userMhYmtDYRO4
Constellation

Re: "This drive is not supported" SSD 860 EVO 1TB, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK there seems to be some serious technical issue with this forum. I typed up the reply again and made sure it posted. I then refreshed the page and it was there. I took screen shots. Please see below.

https://imgur.com/a/j38cMx2

This is now the THIRD time this forum has deleted a post on me!! I saved it this time so I will try posting it again. 

Is there any way I can contact an Admin who looks after the forum to see why posts are being deleted??

userMhYmtDYRO4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Third time attempting to post this.

The SSD in question is connected to the SATA 3 (6GBPS) port on my GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard. I read through the manual and have deduced that this port is controlled by the Marvel 88se9230 controller.

I went onto the manufacturers website below:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87X-UD5H-rev-1x#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

And downloaded and installed the "Marvell SATA Controller Driver" from under the "SATA RAID/AHCI" category. This installed successfully but appears to have made no difference. As you correctly point out, in both screenshots in Device Manager, it still lists the driver as being from Microsoft, and from 2006!

There are other downloads within this category, but I felt the one I downloaded best matched what it is that I needed. But I think I already had it installed so didnt achieve anything by it. There are a couple of other Marvell drivers there but they don't seem to be relevant.

So I tried to obtain drivers for the Marvel chip on their website below:

https://www.marvell.com/support/downloads/search.do

But the 88se9230 wasn't listed, nor was Windows 10 on the left list. So I'm not sure what path to go down now, unless I send Marvell an email directly, if that's even possible. But they might just send me the driver ive already downloaded from the Gigabyte site.

It's interesting to note that within the Magician software, the "System Compatibility" reports "No reported compatibility issues" and the "Performance Benchmark" reports read and write speed above 500, so nothing untoward going on there.

Just FYI the System Summary is:

Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Architecture: 64-Bit

Version: 10.0.17134

OS Service Pack: N/A

I'm running a 4th gen i7 4770k with 32GB of DDR3 RAM at 1600 MHZ so system specs are definately not causing this problem. I'm hoping that maybe I'm having the same issue as a few others with regards to the drive not being activated on the Samsung servers but i'm not holding by breath on that one.

I'm currently running BIOS version "F9". This is the latest stable version on this board. There are a couple of Beta versions (F10c and F10e) but what they actually do doesnt seem to be related in anyway to the problem I'm having so I dont see a reason to start messing with BIOS.

One other thing I noticed when looking at my motherboard manual. My motherboard has 10 SATA 3 ports. 4 of them are controlled by the Marvel controller and 6 of them are controlled by the Intel Z87 Chipset. Do you think it would make any difference plugging in the SSD to one of the Intel controlled SATA ports?

One thing to remember in all this is, my previous Samsung SSD worked flawlessely in Magician, while plugged into the exact same SATA port that the troublesome SSD is currently plugged into.

Thanks.

userMhYmtDYRO4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

4th time attempting to post this.

The SSD in question is connected to the SATA 3 (6GBPS) port on my GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard. I read through the manual and have deduced that this port is controlled by the Marvel 88se9230 controller.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87X-UD5H-rev-1x#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

And downloaded and installed the "Marvell SATA Controller Driver" from under the "SATA RAID/AHCI" category. This installed successfully but appears to have made no difference. As you correctly point out, in both screenshots in Device Manager, it still lists the driver as being from Microsoft, and from 2006!

There are other downloads within this category, but I felt the one I downloaded best matched what it is that I needed. But I think I already had it installed so didnt achieve anything by it. There are a couple of other Marvell drivers there but they don't seem to be relevant.

https://www.marvell.com/support/downloads/search.do

But the 88se9230 wasn't listed, nor was Windows 10 on the left list. So I'm not sure what path to go down now, unless I send Marvell an email directly, if that's even possible. But they might just send me the driver ive already downloaded from the Gigabyte site.

It's interesting to note that within the Magician software, the "System Compatibility" reports "No reported compatibility issues" and the "Performance Benchmark" reports read and write speed above 500, so nothing untoward going on there.

Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Architecture: 64-Bit

Version: 10.0.17134

I'm running a 4th gen i7 4770k with 32GB of DDR3 RAM at 1600 MHZ so system specs are definately not causing this problem. I'm hoping that maybe I'm having the same issue as a few others with regards to the drive not being activated on the Samsung servers but i'm not holding by breath on that one.

I'm currently running BIOS version "F9". This is the latest stable version on this board. There are a couple of Beta versions (F10c and F10e) but what they actually do doesnt seem to be related in anyway to the problem I'm having so I dont see a reason to start messing with BIOS.

One other thing I noticed when looking at my motherboard manual. My motherboard has 10 SATA 3 ports. 4 of them are controlled by the Marvel controller and 6 of them are controlled by the Intel Z87 Chipset. Do you think it would make any difference plugging in the SSD to one of the Intel controlled SATA ports?

One thing to remember in all this is, my previous Samsung SSD worked flawlessely in Magician, while plugged into the exact same SATA port that the troublesome SSD is currently plugged into.

Thanks.

userMhYmtDYRO4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Tried it again. Lasted for 5 seconds then was deleted. This is getting ridiculous now. Let's try pasting under this. I'm also now using Edge browser. I was using Google Chrome before.

Fourth time attempting to post this.

Name:                     Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Architecture:        64-Bit
Version:                 10.0.17134

Thanks.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi userMhYmtDYRO4,
Disconnect the drive from the Marvell controller and use the intel controller, that should solve your issue as Marvell controllers and drivers may not be enough for communication. Intel controllers are known to usually be a bit more consistent with performance and communication.
Please note: You can direct message one of the moderators in the forum or look for the web support contact information online if your having issues posting.
userg6Csw9fb1F
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Re: "This drive is not supported" SSD 860 EVO 1TB, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit?

Hello

I have had the same issue and I tried everything I could think of, also paid BestBuy and Geek Squad to repair the issue but it worked for a few moments only nothing was working. Somehow I found Samsung support phone number online +1-855-855-4384 and I spoke to them about my issue, They guided me with few steps and then finally they fixed it. I would recommend you to speak to them for yours. You will be...READ MORE

userg6Csw9fb1F
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello

I have had the same issue and I tried everything I could think of, also paid BestBuy and Geek Squad to repair the issue but it worked for a few moments only nothing was working. Somehow I found Samsung support phone number online +1-855-855-4384 and I spoke to them about my issue, They guided me with few steps and then finally they fixed it. I would recommend you to speak to them for yours. You will be...READ MORE

userMhYmtDYRO4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Tried again. Deleted again. What am I supposed to do here with a forum deleting my posts?

userMhYmtDYRO4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

and now ALL the posts appear what the frig!!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi userMhYmtDYRO4,
Disconnect the drive from the Marvell controller and use the intel controller, that should solve your issue as Marvell controllers and drivers may not be enough for communication. Intel controllers are known to usually be a bit more consistent with performance and communication.
Please note: You can direct message one of the moderators in the forum or look for the web support contact information online if your having issues posting.