JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

ssd 980 wont boot into windows 10

(Topic created: 10-31-2021 06:31 AM)
userjoH5qQAb9K
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

i have a dell 8900 running win10 which came with a Samsung SSD 256 as the main drive. Recently i decided to replace the drive with a new Samsung SSD 980 1TB. i cloned the 980 but it would not boot into win10 instead i get a stop code not accessible boot device. I checked the bios and the 980 is seen in the window. I contacted Samsung support they suggested a clean install of win10 and if that didn't work to return the drive for a replacement. i did the clean install, it still didn't work and i got a replacement drive. I would like to note that my original Samsung SSD still boots into win10 with no problems. The replacement drive still will not boot into win10 so i assume its not the drive itself but some kind of problem between win10 and the 980 but i don't know how to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated...

8 Replies
OzzyJL
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
Bott back into windows installer and on the second screen chose repair! Let theagic happen. Another thing, if you shut in down before booting up the drive has been flagged as dirty. In this case easiest way is to format drive, reinstall, then let it boot up all the way. One last way is download a cloning software and clone it. Also check the bios. Does that have bitlocker on it?
0 Likes
userjoH5qQAb9K
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

hi Ozzy

i ran the repair and diagnostics but no improvement i have checked the bios and the 980 is there and the 980 has been cloned via macrium

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

What model is the original 256 GB drive?

0 Likes
userjoH5qQAb9K
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

i dont know the model number of the original drive it can installed in the machine but it is a Samsung m.2

0 Likes
userjoH5qQAb9K
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

actually i checked and the drive says PM851

0 Likes
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ahh, ok.  The PM851 is a Sata SSD while the 980 is a NVME SSD.  Different animals and the OS is installed differently.

The 980 needs to be wiped clean of all partitions and allow the USB stick with the full Win Install routine to format it as a GPT device.  The Install will then add the NVME drivers for the 980. Remove or disconnect all other hard drives to prevent interference during installation.

Have fun!

0 Likes
userjoH5qQAb9K
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

thanks, i will follow up on this...

0 Likes
userAVb6UexbWJ
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did you find the solution to the problem? I have the exact same problem as you, I also have a M.2 SSD with model number MZ-V8V500. I have tried to make a clean install of Windows 10 three times without succes. I have also tried to install the 980 firmware from Samsung website nad it didnt fix my problem either..

0 Likes