Things I've learned with my new C32HG70

SOLVED
Cosmic Ray

Things I've learned with my new C32HG70

[ Edited ]

Issue #1 - 144hz refresh rate was missing in windows (Win10 x64) if FreeSync was enabled for the monitor

Solution: Update the Monitor Software/firmware.  original software was version 1004.0, upgrade to 1009.1 resolved the issue and remained resolved moving to 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2 as well.

The path to knolwledge: Hooking up a brand new C32HG70 to a new AMD Rx Vega 64, and windows 10 x64 Enterprise saw the max resolution as 120hz.

Initially to me, the symptom seemed to be that the PnP Monitor default options (60hz, 100hz, and 120hz) when I first plugged in the monitor were maintained even after I download and installed the C32HG7xQQ driver (Mar-2017)... so it almost looked like the driver didn't fully install... well didn't solve the issue anyway.

I tried a new DP cable that I purchased, tried uninstalling/reinstalling monitor drivers, even uninstalled/reinstalled AMD's drivers... all ended up with 120hz being my cap.  Then tried lowering the resolution from 1440P to 1080p... still 120hz max.

Finally I thought I'd try disable FreeSync in the monitor settings... and low and behold 144hz finally showed up in windows.  Enabled monitor Freesync standard engine again and 144hz dropped off... even tried FreeSync ultimate engine and 144hz was still no where to be seen.

The monitor's OSD always showed 144hz even in freesync mode, it just doesn't translate that to the OS.  The end result is that many games (like Grim Dawn) give a list of resolutions/frequencies to pick from in their settings... and they typically inherit windows display settings.... so if the OS doesn't see 144hz as an option, neither does the game.

I did a software/Firmware update from 1004.0 to 1009.1 and 144hz started working like it should!

Issue #2 When I first plugged in my monitor, I noticed the display was heavily inspired by red, and looked rather pinkish.

Solution: Set 6500K color temp in Radeo Settings for monitor.

The path to knolwledge: This was resolved by trial and error (really by accident) of various settings while playing with various settings in Radeon Settings.  I've been using intel/nvidia based systems for at least the past decade, so I had alot to learn and experiment with in Radeon Settings.  Was very happy to discover this setting.  I will also note that some changes I've made while learning (more related to uninstalling/reinstalling drivers) that this 6500K color setting can get lost... so always remember to check it if you notice the pinkish color came back.

Issue #3 There seems to be many threads where people are trying to using the wrong firmware/software version, thinking that the 27" and 32" versions are identical.  Often the reported symptom when flashing the wrong firmware is that the display got dimmer.

Solution: Only use the Monitor Software/firmware that matches your monitor.

The path to knolwledge: My original software was version 1004.0, and I have upgraded to 1009.1, 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2 without noticing any dimming.  All versions specific to my 32" monitor, never renaming a 27" file.  I will also provide a quote from the manual related to "dimming"/brightness... "If Response Time is set to Faster or Fastest mode, a decrease occurs in the screen brightness. This is a normal phenomenon and not a product malfunction."

Issue #4 I've read another thread that suggested FreeSync2 may become disabled for this monitor, and what worried me was that it would be delivered by software/firmware update.  To me, the real issue here is that Samsung does not provide a change log for their updates so we can see what is changing.

Solution:  I don't have one, Samsung would need to provide.

The path to knolwledge: Specific to the FreeSync2 "concern"... as mentioned above, my original software was version 1004.0, and I have upgraded to 1009.1, 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2.  With 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2, I do know that I finally paid enough attention to see the FreeSync2 logo  slapped on the drawn monitor.  So if there is a plan to disable FreeSync2, I assume the inclussion of the logo means it's still active/enabled for 1012.2, 1013.0, and 1016.2 (and I assume for the 1004.0 and 1009.1 versions before it).  Kind of sad if I'm pinning my hopes/faith to a logo.

Issue #5 I'm beginning to learn that the Freesync range for this monitor is rather "shallow".  The impact is that you'd need to get fairly high FPS to see the freesync kick in, but one could argue that if you had the killer framerates to begin with, was FreeSync really required?  Seems that the current shallow freesync range is a pretty big miss.

Solution:  The full 48-144hz freesync range is now enabled with the 1016.2 montior firmware!

The path to knolwledge: I wish I knew that hoving my mouse over the Radeon Settings Freesync "badge" would have told me the range when I was back on earlier versions of the monitor firmware, but I can tell you know that with 1013.0 that the FreeSync range is 72-144hz (using Ultimate Engine; Standard Engine is 120-144)... and according to a reddit post, this change likely started back with 1009.1.

I have some pretty aggressive game settings enabled that drop me below 72hz at times (highest settings), but I have two changes happening that will likely increase my minimums.  The first is a client update I know is coming to ESO to increase their frame rates (my current game of choice)/  The second is a planned upgrade to my system memory.  The old DDR4 RAM I used for my Threadripper is clocked at 2133, and I'd like to get a new kit in the 3200+ range.  Based on a post I read (and my memory), one person claimed that the Infinity Fabric improvements moving from 2133 to 3000 brought about 30% increased frame rates.  Even if that's only 1/3 true (10% increase), that could be just enough to keep me in the bottom-mid of the 72-144hz range for FreeSync at all times... and perhaps closer to the mid-top of the range depending on what ESO delivers with their client FPS improvement promise.  And I guess I should not discount the role played by improvements to the Rx Vega 64 drivers over time, as well as my continued tinkering with Wattman.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cosmic Ray
Solution
Accepted by topic author useryI6Q30uc24
‎12-05-2017 05:05 AM

Re: Things I've learned with my new C32HG70

As my original post evolved into my solution (and appears to be helping others), looks like I needed to add a new post to mark a "Solution"; however, all the knowledge is in the original post.
45 REPLIES
Constellation

Hi, how has your experience been with windows HDR?

Its really dull on my monitor, I do find HDR works fine aslong as the windows implementation is switched off

Cosmic Ray

userfcH7hmFR9x wrote:

Hi, how has your experience been with windows HDR?

Its really dull on my monitor, I do find HDR works fine aslong as the windows implementation is switched off

My experience (the whole 30 seconds worth) was the same as yours... but apparently that may be expected on win10 unless you are running an actual game with HDR support.  Read the HDR Performance section of this one reviewers article.

The first time you enable HDR through the Windows display settings, you might wonder if something’s gone horribly wrong. As the Windows desktop, and most apps for that matter, don’t support HDR natively, you’ll be presented with a dim, washed-out image. Don’t panic, though: it’s not until you fire up an HDR-enabled game that you’ll notice the benefits.

Currently, only a handful of titles actually support HDR. At the time of writing, you can take your pick from the seven games...
Asteroid

[ Edited ]

I was one of the ones that updated with renaming the file, but the thing is that if you go to the download section of the 27" monitor and click to download it will download the 32" firmware and that is the one that messed up my brightness now Standard Actually is very dim and Fast and Faster at very bright. Also when you download and install the drivers on the 27" section it actually installed the drivers of the 32" one. I think the Samsung Page is giving the wrong downloads for everything.

Edit: See Attached picture a Samsung Representative said that it would be the same for all? Then why it broke mine?

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

I think that the US CHG70 page was meant to be universal to cover both the 27" and the 32" models... this idea supported by the URL that ends with https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/curved-gaming-monitor-chg70-series.

Maybe when a new firmware is release (regardless of which model/size), it is added to the list and the previous firware removed so they only have one active at a time?  If the page is meant to be universal, they should allow two "latest" firmware's to be visible... one for each model/size.

I think what I'd recommend is to visit the CA (Canada) pages as it has a unique URL/Page for each model/size:

Asteroid

That is true for now everyone should use the Canada links until they solve this. Also quick question when you use Display Port and try tu use Nvidia Control Panel for Seting color setings I have a problem when selecting YCbCr4222 my picture in games goes nuts and changes to purple and grey. Does it happens to you too while using YCbCr4222 and 10bpc in color depth? Thanks.

Cosmic Ray

user0NMxB6b1IL wrote:

That is true for now everyone should use the Canada links until they solve this. Also quick question when you use Display Port and try tu use Nvidia Control Panel for Seting color setings I have a problem when selecting YCbCr4222 my picture in games goes nuts and changes to purple and grey. Does it happens to you too while using YCbCr4222 and 10bpc in color depth? Thanks.

I have an AMD GPU so I can only tell you what happens within Radeon Settings...  The only thing I changed in my display properties was enabling Freesync.  Perhaps these two settings (that I left at Default) may be related to what you are asking:

1. Color Depth: 10 bpc
  2. Pixel Format: RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)... although other options are:
    • YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format
    • YCbCr 4:2:2 Pixel Format
    • RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format Studio (Limited RGB)

With those default settings I have no color issues in games or on the desktop.  I quickly ran through the other pixel options (just in desktop mode) and the colors in Windows looked fine except for YCbCr 4:2:2 which had some strange color tinges to it.  I'm sticking with the RGB 4:4:4 "Full RGB" default option.

Asteroid

useryI6Q30uc24 wrote:

user0NMxB6b1IL wrote:

I have an AMD GPU so I can only tell you what happens within Radeon Settings...  The only thing I changed in my display properties was enabling Freesync.  Perhaps these two settings (that I left at Default) may be related to what you are asking:

2. Pixel Format: RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)... although other options are:

With those default settings I have no color issues in games or on the desktop.  I quickly ran through the other pixel options (just in desktop mode) and the colors in Windows looked fine except for YCbCr 4:2:2 which had some strange color tinges to it.  I'm sticking with the RGB 4:4:4 "Full RGB" default option.

Sorry I meant while using HDR with those settings? 

Asteroid

i want to getting HDR working to with the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti bus i dont know what cable i must use for HDR 120 or 144hz? The GTX 980 Ti suport HDR
Cosmic Ray

user0NMxB6b1IL wrote:

useryI6Q30uc24 wrote:

user0NMxB6b1IL wrote:

Sorry I meant while using HDR with those settings? 

As mentioned in the third post in this thread... Since Windows 10 does not support HDR natively (looks all washed out), and since I have none of the handful of games that support/use HDR, I have no reason to enable HDR yet.