65" MU8000 Settings for Xbox One X

65" MU8000 Settings for Xbox One X

Hi. So I upgraded my TV (65" MU8000) to support my One X & I notice that there is a noticeable graphical difference between game mode ON & game mode OFF when playing. With game mode OFF, I notice quite a bit of judder & tearing but with game mode ON, it seems like much of the "sharpness" or "crispness" is taken away. I'm curious as to what settings others are using & if anyone else has achieved the "optimal" settings. Thanks.
5 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: 65" MU8000 Settings for Xbox One X

Game Mode essentially allows the game console to take over video processing. If it is off, the television does the processing and the image will be smoother but probably a little slower. When it is on, the game console takes over and response time will be better but the picture may suffer. 

Constellation

Even with the power of the xbox one x?

Samsung Moderator

I'm not sure I understand. The processing power of the Xbox One is probably better than the television since the television doesn't have to generate the content. 

Constellation

I believe Dynamic mode really helps.   It's gives Xbox the performance priority.   Dynamic mode tend to correct whatever shortcomings Xbox may have on fly.   Like when you switch from game to Netflix.   Both will throw 4k at tv but are not the same so Dynamic mode will tailor it.  My two cents from different galaxy. 

Constellation

I don't think the power of the Xbox matters much. With Game Mode on, the TV isn't doing any (or very minimal) image processing. That image processing includes reducing jutter by adding in frames between the frames. The TV might be doing any other number of things to try and improve the picture by adjusting contrast, saturation, etc... but it all takes processing power, and delays the video just a little bit.

With Game Mode on it's skipping 90% of that and just feeding the image it gets from the Xbox to the screen. If you're seeing screen tearing, I'm guessing the feature that prevents that from happening gets turned off in Game Mode (which seems crazy to me).

The input lag on the MU8000 is really good outside of game mode, so unless you're playing a hair-trigger FPS, fighting game, or an old school gaming system, you're probably OK with game mode off. You can tweak some of the video settings with game mode off to try and reduce some of the image processing, without sacraficing as much of the image quality. With Game Mode on I don't think you're going to get as much flexibility.