Galaxy Note 8, glass on back camera, shatters

Constellation

Re: Galaxy Note 8, glass on back camera, shatters

In less than 24 hrs, my post to Samsung Mobile USA's Facebook page was acknowledged. 

"We hear you and we want to get this solved. Please reach out to our team here: smsng.us/FacebookSupport"

The link took me to FB Messenger. I typed a message and posted a photo. Have not heard back from anyone. It has been 2 hrs. Well, at least there's a bit of hope. Fingers crossed. 

Constellation

So far, Samsung is offering to take a look at the phone if I send it to one of their repair centers. 

"We will bring the phone in for evaluation, and the repair technician will determine if the cause of damage is due to defect or an external source. If a defect is found by an external source, you will receive an email with the option to pay for the repair. If there is no physical / liquid damage, the phone will be repaired under warranty. "

No - I don't think so.

This is an interesting article (April 2017). Same type of glass shattering has been reported by owners of the Galaxy S7. Samsung has not taken responsibility for the defect.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-galaxy-s7-shattered-camera-glass/

The article contains a link to the law firm that is looking into this. I plan to contact them.

Constellation

I representive from Keller Rohrbach (the law firm dealing with the legal case against Samsung re the glass shattering on the S7 phones) suggested that people opt out of the arbitration agreement. This agreement prevents you from suing Samsung. But you can only opt out within 30 days of purchase. To opt out, send an email to 

optout@sea.samsung.com <optout@sea.samsung.com>. None of your rights or warranty is affected if you opt out.

So far, Samsung has sent a reply to my Contact Form submission. I've been in touch with Samsung Support via Facebook Messenger as well. In both cases, it is the same - send in your phone and we will have a technician examine it (for a $70 diagnostic fee). If it is determined that there is no defect, we will let you know how much the repair will cost. With the ongoing lawsuit in which Samsung is stating that the glass shattering is not a defect, there is no way they will now conclude that the NOTE8 shattering is a defect. So sending the phone in will definitely result in a repair bill. (And I will be phoneless for approx 2 weeks.) Not feeling too enthusiastic about this approach.

Asteroid

Yeah I have the same thing mines been like that for 3 weeks, crack across the lens but doesn`t effect the pictures yet. but I have the samsung premuimum care, one of these days I will get fixed, but right now it doesn`t effect the camera yet. I`m wait until something  else breaks or the screen shatters then I`m have it replaced for 99.00 with the premuim care.

Highlighted
Constellation

I ended up submitting an insurance claim. Paid $225 deductible for a replacement phone. It seemed like the better choice (the alternative was to send it for repair which meant I would not have a phone for about 2 weeks and the repair cost was an unknown.) Fingers crossed that the glass on the new phone is not defective!

Galaxy

uh..wow..what a life😔 Good luck to you.
Astronaut

Galaxy Note 8, glass on back camera, shatters

Maybe your Note 8 was dropped before you got the phone or defective and Samsung missed it. My Note 8 is perfect I put a tempered glass and a Samsung rugged case to protect the phone. Did you received your replacement?
Constellation

Yes received replacement phone from insurance. That process was super simple and quick. My deductible was $225.

Considering that this same thing happened with the S7, it is something Samsung knows about and have not addressed. It might be time to file a class action lawsuit for the NOTE8 to try to make them accountable so this inconvenience to phone owners can end.