Gear Fit 2 pro water damaged

Constellation

Gear Fit 2 pro water damaged

I had a f2p given to me as apresent, an awesome gift. I used it for 4 days while in Mexico. I was just getting use to it and it died. I did go swimming with it , but no diving or anything like that. The screen went black some time that day. I put it on the charger and went for dinner. when we arrived back I tryed to turn it on, and nothing. Upon arriving back home we contacted Samsung, who provided us a shipping label and asked us to send it to a repair center. The repair center contacted us and advised that the dammage was caused by water, and would not be covered by warranty. Additionally the device would cost $400 to repair, and we would be charged $25 if we decided not to get it fixed, ( purchace for $250 new, recently reduced to $199). Since we had this in our posession for less than two weeks, and it worked for 4 days, we contacted Samsung. They looked into the claim, and decided after extensive investigation,( 6hrs later), that they would not be able to repair the unit. As well they would close the case.  This is a device that comes loaded with a swim app, but can't get wet? The main selling feature is that it can go swimming.I wonder if the one I had was just not assembeled correctly from the factory? Any comments or advice would be appreciated, I cant be the only one that this has happened to.

23 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Gear Fit 2 pro water damaged

I just got mine mainly for the ability to use it in water - but if you read the instructions - you HAVE to activate the water drops icon and then turn it off once you are out of the water 

Astronaut

The exact same thing happened to me I purchased it Dec 2018 and it lasted only 4 months. Sent it to Samsung they included the label and it was returned to me with a statement that it had liquid damage. I am so disappointed with the quality Samsung has put out with this device. They will not exchange or replace the watch. I never submerged it in water and only used it to workout. Im more than sure it is a manufacturers defect but Samsung warranty  repair services determined that it wasnt. I am totally bummed because I loved it.

Cosmic Ray

Same thing happened to me!  They will not investigate this further.  The service department talks you in loops and claims they understand but they very truly do not.  I am so angry with them.  They need to change their specs on this product.  I too did NOT swim in it but they somehow found liquid damage.  That little white strip they use to help determine that has a PINPOINT spot of pink on it.  And it is right beside the screw hold that holds the piece together.  This product can't even function as a simple fitness band if it is so sensitive.  

It has been in to be repaired once before this though... maybe they put it back together wrong and no one, thei so called tech repair company nor samsung themselves, wants to take responisbility for this so of course they will not replace or repair. 

Maybe if they get enough complaints they will pull it off the market or change their specs and retract their claims that it is swim ready.  If they say a product is swim ready and the product takes on liquid damage they should really honour a replacement in their warranty.  Or don't claim that it is swim ready then you can charge for liquid damage all they want!  Don't lie to your consumers Samsung.  

Astronaut

I had the same problem. I wore it swimming, but stayed on the surface of the water. The screen turned black and I sent it back to Samsung. They told me there was water damage and that voided the warranty. The claims that this watch is water resistant and can be used for swimming, are bogus claims. How can a warranty be voided when the product is used for it's intended purpose? It's like saying your car warranty is void because you drove it.

Constellation

I'm going to try to figure out how to get a complaint filed with the Federal Trade Commission. Pretty sure the rating and advertising are enough to constitute false advertising. Maybe if they get a bunch of complaints the FTC will look into it. 

Constellation

I'm with all of you, although I must be lucky, mine lasted 7 months before getting "liquid damage". I run with this so-called fitness watch, how can I have damaged it by simply sweating on it? I find it totally ridiculous that a company can make the claims they're making regarding water resistance to sell units but then not stand behind their product.  That's just plain taking advantage of customers.  So frustrated and disappointed, I really liked the product.

Constellation

Horrible horrible horrible product. My watch was NEVER submerged in water. After 5 months of light use it stopped working and when I sent it in the repair center said it is water damaged and will not replace!  My watch was clearly defective.  Stand behind the product you advertise samsung. I have a friend who had a older model apple watch that stopped counting steps accurately,  they sent another one,  no questions asked! 

Spoiler

Constellation

I just got the call that my gear fit 2 pro I've had for about 6 months is water damage so the warranty is voided. I'm livid. I pretty much just wore it at work and while working out. Has anyone had success with them in getting a replacement? What's bad is that I actually got this initially to track swimming and just hadn't made it to the pool. 

Constellation

I just got my f2p vack fro. Getting repaired with Samsung and same story. All my sensors stopped working, but watch worked fine. they claim water damage, but again I ask, why is a watch which is labeled as water resistant to an ip67 or ip68 rating not covered under warranty. Completely stupid and offensive.