Google Assistant OPEN Letter

Constellation

Google Assistant OPEN Letter

Dear Samsung,

I have been a Samsung user since at least Galaxy S2. You have always been the best option as far as phones go with android. As the years have come and gone and several phones, tablet, and watches later the tech market has come up to nearly entire home automation. With the 2 leading voice control service by Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. Samsung made the smart move by adopting Android OS as the operating system for your phones and tablets making them the biggest competitor to the Iphone. The biggest reason I move to Samsung from the Iphone because of Apple's proprietary system. The major reason Android was so successful is because they blew the walls of proprietary practices. This is where I am starting to become frustrated with Samsung, as Google assistant has come out but Samsung tries to compete with Bigsby. I have a Gear S3 and instead of being able to use google assistant I am stuck with s-voice.  Instead of contributing to the development of of the andriod community in making what is already there better, Samsung tries to compete and develop their own services.  If Samsung would focus on making hardware and already existing services better rather trying to compete, with the community that made Samsung who they are in the current market, we would advance much better.  I would like to see Samsung work within the Android community  to make the service better for Android and not try and compete with them.  Lets knock down these walls of propriety so we can interact with others in the tech world. Google has brought us a platform to bridge this gap and so lets not put up walls and tear down bridges.

Thanks

Cody H. 

P.S. My phone is coming up for an upgrade and would love to stay with Samsung.

3 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Google Assistant OPEN Letter

You're misjudging the situation here. It isn't that Samsung are trying to force their own os or assistant on us; they're building an ecosystem, and Tizen is an essential element of their longterm IoT game for a heap of reasons. All the best hardware manufacturers have custom software, even if it's just a flavour of Android. You might as well ask why Google reserves Software features from Android except on their own premium devices.

Anyway, I agree that if you're not in a Samsung house its difficult to do home control from the Gear S3. I've written a few apps I'll be launching soon which overcome this limitation though, so don't stress, Google Home/Assistant and Amazon Echo/Alexa support is just around the corner...

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

Spoken like a true fan boy in the reply. Why do we need a new eco system? Don't we have Android Wear already? Imagine what your Dev team could build on top of Android Wear. Why are we even arguing the point here when we all clearly know whats going on. I bet there is already a Chinese manufacturer thinking of making a s3 competitor on wear os with all but MST/PAY missing. That would be a game changer.

PS: have you seen how much more superior the apple Apple 2012 series is?? Thanks to tizen s3 can't match up to it even in 2017!! And yes S Voice is an abomination and shame on Samsung for forcing that down our throats. Ohhh, if only iwatch worked with an Android phone (wishful thinking)

S3 hardware rocks btw and yet the software makes it so terrible.

Constellation

I love the Galaxy watch I just got but will return it if I can't get Google assistant. Bixby was not useful on my first day of use.