Note 8 backspace runs wild...

Constellation

Note 8 backspace runs wild...

...and other woes.

While attempting to edit texts before sending (mostly because of the laughable voice to text) the phone has the frequent problem with the cursor racing backwards deleting the characters even though I'm not touching the keyboard. Say I place the cursor between the g & i of the word wagging to change it to wiggling- after the first second, third, whatever time I tap the backspace key, it just takes off by itself and will erase everything "upstream" of the place I started backspacing until it's eaten it all or stops because I've stabbed the keyboard behind the cursor to relocate it. Two different US Cellular reps tried but don't have any suggestions.

Also, the phone has little freezups like not responding to the delete command in gallery when you're viewing a separate picture no matter how many times you tap it. Sometimes you can just wait a few seconds, other times you need to swipe to the next picture and then swipe back to the one you want to delete and it'll work. Voice text is horrible compared to my Note 3 which worked fine. With the 8 I have to talk to it like I'm addressing a hard of hearing  5 year-old. It actually decided I want things like "heart bait" instead of "heartbeat" and, " a pinion" instead of "opinion". Sometimes what it writes isn't even a word.

Loved my Note3 and my two previous Galaxys, but if Samsung offered me my money back on this Note8 I would gladly mail it back. As Kripke said on BBT, "It's kwap".    

11 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Note 8 backspace runs wild...

Hello there, @userSfiBfZ9P1Y
I certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can the Community have some added details about your specific device and this concern? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device and what you've already tried to fix it. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

Model SM-N950U

Baseband ver. N950USQU1AQI9

What I've done to fix it? Asked two different US Cellular reps about it and posted here. I'm not a phone repairman, I'm a man who paid about a grand w/tax for a phone. If these problems are going to be ongoing, I'm thinking the Warranty of Merchantability is going to be my fix, and I'll need an RMA number for the phone.

Samsung Moderator

Do you recall any suggestions from the US Cellular reps or what they did to the phone? The reason I ask is so that we don't just repeat old steps and waste your time with that.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

First one went to Settings, Apps, Messages and cleared data or a cache. Both are shown in the "storage" section so I don't know which (or both) she emptied. Don't remember the phone doing it (zooming backspace) for a day or two, but obviously that didn't fix it. Since it's a brand new phone, I said I'd check online for advice from Samsung and report it in case it's widespread. Likewise the phone not always responding when I go to delete a picture from gallery and/or during camera usage like cropping a picture and then immediately swiping to the original pic to delete it.  

Samsung Moderator

Alrighty then! Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let me know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

Constellation

I will check those, but at this point I have to believe you're just messing with me. How can Samsung not know if there's been a patch or update to fix a "rapid-fire backspace" problem? Obviously this isn't happening on every Note 8 so if there's no official aknowledgement of this and known fix, we seem to be going to the old, turn it on and off a few times routine and I've already had plenty of time wasted on this between early Sept. and today. If this is truly an unknown problem, would Samsung want to let my local US Cellular store issue me a new one and send mine back for research? 

Samsung Moderator

You can certainly reach out to your carrier, or even direct to Samsung via 1-800-726-7864 to set up an evaluation and even repair. I'm sure they would love to look over things but, since that would mean not having your phone for a while, running through some troubleshooting to make sure it's nothing minor is always best.  Smiley Happy

Constellation

Your answer is why I'll probably never buy another Samsung product. I have 3 Samsung TVs and this Note8 is my 4th or fifth of their phones. Imagine if you had a 2 week old car where the radio just "kinda worked" and you were told, "I'm sure they would love to look over things but, since that would mean you'd  be walking everywhere since you wouldn't have your car for a while, maybe you should start wiggling wires under the dash or pounding on the steering wheel". Obviously my local carrier DOESN'T know what's wrong and Samsung wants me to become a Samsung repairman. I will try my local provider one more time and if the phone cannot be dealt with then I will contact my State Attorney General's office to to initiate anything I can to take your arrogance down.

Constellation

FWIW, updating last week as suggested made no difference. Just got and am installing new upadates now. Will see if it makes any difference. That's the plan, right? Just keep updating while nothing changes?