cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userz7zJjaKPdw
Cosmic Ray

4 issues with the Note 9.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

1. The Note 9 corrupted my 256GB SD card. Unlocked 512GB phone from Best Buy. They took the SD card out of my S8+  and put it in the Note 9. Worked fine for a day. All of a sudden s tree arted getting an error message that appears randomly throught the day. "The SD card has a read/write error. If the error persits, the card may be corrupted and will need to be reformatted. I explored the individual photo and video files and found a bunch that were no longer viewable and couldn't be copied or moved  onto internal storage or back into my old phone or onto a computer. Files permanently damaged. Apparently this has also been an issue for the last 5 months with the S9 series with Samsung refusing to fix the issue or acknowledge the problem

2. Took a great picture of themoon under

Auto settings thst looked like a DSLR camera. The next night attempted to take a similar shot at the same time ,same location and cannot get it to focus. Even tried the pro settings without luck.

3. Was specifically told by the Best Buy salesperson that any chargers with the USB C port would work with the Note 9, so I didnt buy additional chargers for work. Plugged it in to my S8+  charger. It  says phone will take 7.5 hours to charge. Works fine with the Note 9 charger that came with the phone. 

4. Cannot turn off  Facebook notification sounds . All my notification sounds are turned to mute, but I still get loud FB notifications. Can someone from Samsung respond to these issues with a 3 day oold phone that costs $1,200?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Comet

Re: 4 issues with the Note 9.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Why do you keep insisting it's non functioning? If it's formatted in the phone it should be just fine. Try it, save your data to PC just in case and then move it to the card. It should be OK, right? That's the like of reasoning that I don't understand. Other than some data that got corrupted, what else is wrong with the card?

Plus you seem to be convinced you found the bad link, but it might not be. Maybe it's Android that cause the data loss, maybe the memory card itself reacted oddly to the new phone or OS, maybe it was a coincidence, maybe it was removed unmounted (very likely because no one ever does it the proper way) and it caused the issue, maybe whoever was handling it touched some contacts and something shorted. We will probably never know for sure, the tech can act up sometimes. I don't have any issues with my memory card and the Note9, so it's not some widespread issue with it. If the card works once reformatted everything is probably OK, but I will repeat, back everything up just in case.

(I mentioned returning the phone if you think the phone is defective, I don't think it is or that it's a good idea, a non Samsung memory card is not their responsibility though) 

27 REPLIES 27
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm not from Samsung, and I can only comment on the issue number 4. Check the settings in the Facebook and/or messenger apps, they have their own novmtificatiob settings in there. 

Highlighted
userz7zJjaKPdw
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks.  I found the sound settings in the messenger app.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to double check, did you reformat the sd you inserted into your device?

userz7zJjaKPdw
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Samsung rep at Best Buy and the BestBuy mobile tech did the transfer using Samsung Smart Switch, including the SD card and putting in the Sprint Sim card on my unlocked phone. They then erased my S8+ data and handed me the Note 9. No error message on day 1.

userz7zJjaKPdw
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello? Anyone?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userz7zJjaKPdw For the SD card issue, I would recommend backing up anything already stored on the card and then reformatting it. 

userz7zJjaKPdw
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Perhaps I'm not communicating clearly. The data on the SD CD ard contains files that got cirrupted by the Note 9. Thise individual files cannot be copied, moved  or  deleted. I am having to go through all my files individually in a 256GB SD card and copy the uncorrupted ones. That's THOUSANDS of files.

Also, other users on Samsung S9 forums are having the exact same issue  and have bought additional SD cards and the same thing happens on the additional cards. The NEW SD card also gets corrupted. For some of thise users, this has been going on for 5 months. I dont want the same oricess to happen to my brand new Note 9. You need to get this fixed 

userNejdnyD9Or
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had similar issues on both the Note 8, and Note 9, I will go along taking pictures and all of a sudden the pictures I take are not viewable or movable to a computer or Facebook, then some new ones seem fine. I lost 83 pictures on My note 9 of snow sculptures and I sculptures, only about a dozen were viewable when I got done. Took a few later that showed up, but could not be transferred, but I could view them and screen shot them. But 83 were totally lost. This had a brand new card that was formatted in the phone. Had same issue on the Note 8 where I lost a large number of pictures and video. So there is definitely an issue with the phones and pictures, and sad that I can’t trust it to use the camera. Lost some irrreplaceable pictures.

userz7zJjaKPdw
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So Samsung Support sent me to a Samsung repair center to try to salvage the corrupted files in the SD card and then reformat it and try to see if the error goes away because they cant help me.

The repair center said  they cant help me because data recovery is a niche issue and this it's not a problem with the SD card but a problem with the phone.

Now what?