cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Android 11 as add on purchase

Has Samsung ever considered allowing Samsung phone owners to pay extra for one additional  major OS/UI update beyond current policy of two?

The note 9 is a pretty advanced and expensive phone woth owners warranting better treatment than this. This sort of add-on would also be a further inducement to purchase expensive flagship phones with the additional revenue tempering the loss of income from upgrading to the next flagship Would not be surprised if the additional also be additional revenue more than off-set. I would pay 100 for the add-on and I would bet many other flagship phone users who have received their two major updates would also.
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Galaxy

Re: Android 11 as add on purchase

this is just silly think of the money needed to support the device if things go wrong. The development that has to go into building extra builds . it's never going to happen
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Re: Android 11 as add on purchase

hence we pay
Highlighted
Constellation

I mean if you think about it you are paying for the updates when you purchase the device
Highlighted
Astronaut

only two major updates. third woyld not be a stretch for some flagship phones
Highlighted
Comet

Also, by the time a device doesn't get a new OS, the hardware is old enough to be forgotten. I don't see many buying into it to support the cost of R&D but again, other OEMs and Google provide OS much longer.
Highlighted
Astronaut

not true with flagship phones
Highlighted
Galaxy

Why would they charge you for an additional year of updates when they can charge you $1,000 for a new device?
Highlighted
Astronaut

to keep a flagship phone near flagship level to next flagship phone
Highlighted
Galaxy

Samsung is a company and as a company they will maximize profits. Is it worth their time to invest labor into building another OS version for say $100 a pop for a phone that already had a few major updates? Especially when the life span of a phone is two to two and a half years? Not likely considering power users are more likely to buy the newest device every year or take advantage of the trade in values they offer for yearly upgrades. They would need to sell 10 updates at $100 a piece for one $1,000 phone. How many users would cough up $100 for one yearly update? What happens if during that year the phone bites the dust? You'd want a warranty for the OS update. It doesn't make much sense as it would hurt their profitability.