cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Biometrics Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue but for some reason, having My fingerprints on My note 9 makes My phone power cycle or just power off by itself any time the screen turns off... Just thought I'd post something in case anyone was having an issue and to alert Samsung about this in case they could help. I have everything finally setup on My device the way I like it, including screen protector and skin and don't want to have to get a replacement. At first there was an option in the settings to delete ALL biometrics with one button but can't find that anymore, I did that the first time, a complete shot in the dark I might add, but it worked, anytime My screen went off, My phone stayed on. Then I added My fingerprints ONLY and for a while it was fine, then, all of a sudden, My phone started turning off and rebooting again one night and seeing how I couldn't find the "erase all biometrics" option, I just manually erased all 4 fingerprints, and now it's fine again. What a weird problem. I'll further test it with only iris or face scan, and then 2 different fingers as the problem may be that it's getting confused when I'm using the same finger for 2 different fingers in the options. For example, I'll have Finger 1 & 2 as My right index finger, like I'll swipe as much as I can with 1 side of My finger, then for Finger 2, I'll try to get the rest of the same index finger, I do this so no matter how I lay My finger on it, it unlocks, it will register as Finger 1 or 2 and unlock. This may be tripping it up in some way and causing it to turn off/reboot somehow. I'll see how it goes. Thanks in advance to anyone who might help Me with this!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Biometrics Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK to close out this discussion for good, I no longer have this problem. When I clean My phone after being outside, it no longer power cycles when the screen is off. It was the fingerprint sensor that was causing this and I found it is a known issue and it has to do with moisture on the sensor. To stop this I initially turned off the "Fingerprint Unlock" feature, inside the "Fingerprints" option, inside "Biometrics and Security", in Settings on the phone, anytime I cleaned it/it got wet, so it wouldn't power cycle when the screen went off. For some odd reason this doesn't affect Me anymore (so far), but I hope this helps anyone else that might stumble upon this thread.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Biometrics Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK to close out this discussion for good, I no longer have this problem. When I clean My phone after being outside, it no longer power cycles when the screen is off. It was the fingerprint sensor that was causing this and I found it is a known issue and it has to do with moisture on the sensor. To stop this I initially turned off the "Fingerprint Unlock" feature, inside the "Fingerprints" option, inside "Biometrics and Security", in Settings on the phone, anytime I cleaned it/it got wet, so it wouldn't power cycle when the screen went off. For some odd reason this doesn't affect Me anymore (so far), but I hope this helps anyone else that might stumble upon this thread.

View solution in original post