cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user5BzWqCovGO
Constellation

Can not live with this Iris scanner on the Note 9

Why is it that we don't have a front facing biometric fingerprint scanner on the latest Samsung Note 9. The front based fingerprint scanner was last seen in the Galaxy S7 Edge and worked like a charm. With the event of the s9 and note 9 variance the finger scanner has been moved to the rear of the phone. But access security has supposedly been replaced by a combination of IRIS and face recognition scanning. The problem with this is that it is slow and simply not reliable. The Intelligent scan feature is not only substantially slow it to give access to the phone as fingerprint scanning was it is also impossible to use in low light conditions and even in well-lit conditions the phone needs to be in the sweet spot for the feature to work correctly. 

If my phone sit on the desk next to me there is simply no way to unlock the phone except by picking picking it up and getting the Iris scan into the sweet spot. With the front face and fingerprint scanner of the previous models it was a simple type of the finger and you were straight into your last screen. 

Fingerprint scanner at the back sit in uch a weird position that you have to stretch to reach it. I'm sure most of the time you just smudging the camera lens but not actually hitting the fingerprint scanner. 

I have had the phone for 3 days and seriously considering returning it since this access Technologies simply doesn't work together very well. I foresee this being a constant irritation which I would have to live with for the next 2 years. Sorry to say Samsung I'm simply not convinced that I'm willing to do it.

For the fact is that the hard way home button with a fingerprint scanner has now been replaced with the software driven navigation buttons which takes up a certain amount of the screen making that unusable for any other occasions. A further problem is that the bottom keys of the the keyboard are now so close to the navigation buttons that it very often happens that you read the wrong button in normal use. Which further strengthens my argument that these software screened driven buttons is a gimmick that is driven by the bragging rights in the largest screen competition.

Samsung please stop chasing the competition and bring us back the extremely functional Hardware buttons as in the older type phones.

Please please please give us back our front-facing fingerprint scanner.

7 REPLIES 7
user9swiZAsQSk
Constellation

Re: Can not live with this Iris scanner on the Note 9

Now I can officially say "i live in a world where people complain that they have to pick up their phone to unlock it."

Welcome to reality.

Coming from Nexus devices, I was extremely hesitant to move to Samsung with its extremely poor quality control in the past.  The fingerprint scanner is EXACTLY where it should be.  Physical buttons disappeared years ago in favor of soft buttons.  This is quite possibly the first phone I've ever owned with zero complaints right out of the box.  

If you want ease at your desk, use your S pen and trust settings.  Otherwise, put in your dam lock code and stop complaining because "oh no I have to make an extra step because my phone is too secure!"   The iris scanner has beaten me to unlocking my phone a couple times with the fingerprint.  It's quite snappy.   

userGkcqakzAcH
Asteroid

And yet for me it's perfect. I do a lot of walking and when I reach in my pocket to take out the phone my finger gets perfectly placed on the fingerprint scanner and its unlock well before I'm able to look at the display.

For your situation I would just use the slightly less secure face unlock which actually works all the time. 

users1Db5S7eNd
Constellation

Amen...  Lol

@user9swiZAsQSk wrote:

Now I can officially say "i live in a world where people complain that they have to pick up their phone to unlock it."

Welcome to reality.

Coming from Nexus devices, I was extremely hesitant to move to Samsung with its extremely poor quality control in the past.  The fingerprint scanner is EXACTLY where it should be.  Physical buttons disappeared years ago in favor of soft buttons.  This is quite possibly the first phone I've ever owned with zero complaints right out of the box.  

If you want ease at your desk, use your S pen and trust settings.  Otherwise, put in your dam lock code and stop complaining because "oh no I have to make an extra step because my phone is too secure!"   The iris scanner has beaten me to unlocking my phone a couple times with the fingerprint.  It's quite snappy.   

userATknTgr295
Constellation

I bought the Note 9 on Monday and returned it five days later for a $50 restocking fee. There are so many things wrong with this phone. 1. The face recognition unlock software never loaded. Expert in the store couldn't do it. 2. Iris scanner software unlock never loaded. Expert couldn't do it. 3.Fingerprint software unlock loaded but worked 20 percent of the time. 4. To unlock the phone I had to pick up the phone, push the button on the right side, enter my 4 digit code. Very time consuming and annoying. I changed the stay lit time to 2 minutes but every time i put the phone down, the screen would go dark. I'd have to pick up the phone and repeat the reentry process. Ridiculous.

5. The touch mechanism for inputting words was inconsistent. Typing for example, I would type two letters of a word, then the third letter would require more force. I had a lot of misspellings. I found myself pounding the screen with my finger to type a simple message. I could never have written this review.

6. The sound quality on phone calls was erratic. Leaving the phone untouched on a table to have a conversation on speaker phone, voices would cut in and out. Holding the phone, it was miserable. I would have to hold it at an angle. This happened wherever I was, so it wasn't due to poor tower reception.

I loved my Galaxy J7. I went to Batteries and Bulbs, bought a new battery for it for $41, and am now using my "old" phone. I won't "upgrade" again until Samsung can clear up these very important flaws.

hef68
Asteroid

I agree. People with trivial complaints don't deserve this phone. Take it back and get a different phone to complain about. I'm more than happy with my note 9.

Samsung Care Ambassador

Loving everything about my Note 9! 🥰

Highlighted
Comet

@user5BzWqCovGO wrote:

Please please please give us back our front-facing fingerprint scanner.

If you're honestly simply asking for this then you're ok, it's coming in this year's S10 and Note10 models in a form of a in screen finger print sensor. Pretty much triple confirmed at this point. Personally, when I used S7 Edge and S8 came out, I hated it, I felt it was so dumb, going for as much screen as possible but making compromises like moving the fingerprint scanner to the back. I hated it all so much I didn't bother upgrading. But last year when S9 came out my S7 was getting too tired and I gave in and upgraded, to the S9+, then few months later to Note9... I was actually kind of surprised how easy it was to readjust to using the rear fingerprint scanner, and now I love it! 

I hate fingerprints and smudges on the front of the phone and wipe it constantly, and use the S-Pen to try to keep it clean as much as possible, so unlocking by just touching the spot on the back IMO is just genius. How did it take us so long to get there?

But now I'm back to the same feeling I had two years ago. The next gen Galaxy is putting it under the screen. It's like my worst nightmare now. That spot at the bottom of the screen will always be covered with smudges. It's an OCD of mine, and I'm simply planning on ignoring it for now, ignoring it because of the feature everyone has been asking for. For some reason. I wonder, why can't they just satisfy both camps and go with both solutions? Why jumping back and forth, literally?

Anyway, I think we should just be glad they're not trying to "kill" it like some other major players on the market if you know what I mean. And one more point. There are some phone that truly do it right by just putting the fingerprint scanner on the power button on the side. It's brilliant really, not on the front or back, don't have to touch the screen or pick up the phone, it's got to be easy as it can be for someone like Samsung to implement it that way, but no, we're dealing with changing location every couple of years now.