cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't answer phone when screen is sleep.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I see the phone icon and hear the phone ring but the phone icon doesn't let answer. I have to put my finger on the icon and hold it there for several seconds then swipe up. By then the caller has hung up. What am I doing wrong? I've tried to adjust the sensitivity settings but it doesn't help and I have all biometric settings enabled. I can't figure it out and I'm tired of losing calls.

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Can't answer phone when screen is sleep.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@ggivensjr Give this a try: 

1.    Turn off the device.
2.    Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
3.    When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4.    An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5.    Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6.    Press Power key to select.
7.    Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8.    When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9.    Press the Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out.

Does this happen when you test your device in safe mode?

Let's try putting the device in Safe mode to determine if there are external factors that cause this symptom. This step will temporarily disable all your third-party apps, but none of your personal data will be deleted. Your customization settings (Wallpaper, Themes, et cetera) will be reset to default once you exit this mode.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Turn the device off.

2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.

3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.

4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.

5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.

6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.

7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

8. To exit Safe Mode, restart your device.

Let us know how your device responds after performing this step!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I followed your instructions. Once in safe mode I had my wife call me. The phone still performed as previously described. I had to flip open the cover of my Clearview standing cover model:EF-ZN960, then long touch (about 20-30 seconds) and swipe up/right to answer the call. Also not able to answer by touching the phone icon with Clearview case cover closed and touching the phone icon.

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungAdam wrote:

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device?

Yes, I followed instructions from SamsungJoJo above. It didn't help. 

~Martin Luther King, Jr.
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@ggivensjr Give this a try: 

2.    Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
4.    An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5.    Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
7.    Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8.    When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.

View solution in original post

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungAdam wrote:

@ggivensjrGive this a try: 

Hi @SamsungAdam ,

This seems to have worked. Thanks 

Happy Holidays, 

George 

~Martin Luther King, Jr.
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you, George. I am glad you were able to resolve the symptoms. Happy Holidays to you as well.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

have you tried sliding the button Sideways? I've never tried sliding it up, but to the side works great.  

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Big-Bad-Brad wrote:

have you tried sliding the button Sideways? I've never tried sliding it up, but to the side works great.  

I have swiped all ways it doesn't respond.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.