cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Comet

Re: Note9 Can't Disable Camera Shutter Sound!! >:(

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I havent heard a shutter sound? Maybe I just havent noticed it? I usually have my volume muted

But on the other hand, I remember this being a really big deal years back and it was about privacy something something and people not liking being unknowingly photographed? It might have gotten passed into a law that prohibits shutter sound doing its thing "secretly"?

---My Signature---
If you're anticipating a follow up to one of my posts, please like my post or tag me. I don't generally go back to posts I have replied to unless I get pointed there.
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@TheDaniel wrote:

I havent heard a shutter sound? Maybe I just havent noticed it? I usually have my volume muted

But on the other hand, I remember this being a really big deal years back and it was about privacy something something and people not liking being unknowingly photographed? It might have gotten passed into a law that prohibits shutter sound doing its thing "secretly"?

I assume that's the general idea lurking around the whole stupid issue, yes.  But what Samsung has done in response is absurd.  You can mute the phone to stop the fake shutter noise.  All Samsung has done is victimize every single one of its customers without even having any success to show for it, AT ALL, for the claimed objective for doing so.

Highlighted
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As far as i can tell, they did the bare minimum to appease the law, and still allow people to take pictures they shouldnt be taking(assuming this isnt a "I havent noticed it" situation)

---My Signature---
If you're anticipating a follow up to one of my posts, please like my post or tag me. I don't generally go back to posts I have replied to unless I get pointed there.
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@TheDaniel wrote:

As far as i can tell, they did the bare minimum to appease the law, and still allow people to take pictures they shouldnt be taking(assuming this isnt a "I havent noticed it" situation)

But of course, they DIDN'T appease the law.  They obviously only were trying to thinly appear they did so.  The net result is that they didn't address AT ALL the concern the ill conceived law is about, AND, they trashed all their customers to do it.  Dumb.

Highlighted
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The law was removing the volume for the shutter sound. Samsung happened to still tie the shutter sound to the system volume(presumably) so people didnt complain about the phone making noise in silent mode.

The law "trashed Samsung customers" unless you can tell me how Samsung did it.

---My Signature---
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung throws their customers under the bus when they arbitrarily remove features they've provided in the previous recent few generations of the same products, that their customers have made use of and appreciated having.  I keep finding more examples of this.  The camera shutter sound control is the first one.  The second one is not being able to choose custom alert sounds for individual people in your contact list.  The latest one is I just discovered is you no longer can swipe left or right in the Messages list view to call or email a person who sent you an SMS/MMS.  How many more of these needless, bizarre elimination of functionality, for arguably very practical features, are there going to be with this device now?

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@johnpjackson you're not forced into using the default messaging app or camera app. There are more than a few to choose from. I hope you find one that works best for you!

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think it's getting a little bit off track. The law or privacy should have nothing to do with it. If it was due to some law, why them would an AT&T version still have that option? It's clearly something that each carrier and Samsung themselves decide to wither include or not, so Samsung and Spring decided not to, AT&T kept it, I'm not sure about others.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@VerbumVeritum wrote:

@johnpjackson you're not forced into using the default messaging app or camera app. There are more than a few to choose from. I hope you find one that works best for you!

Thanks for the encouragement.  I know I'm not required to use those apps, but really, I prefer to, because usually they are the most practical and reliable.  And in this case, I still believe that about them overall, and I'm only very frustrated by the fact that the issues I have with them are that they simply have taken away access to simple but fundamental functionality they've provided in them previously.  I can't think of a satisfactory explanation for why they'd do that.  I will probably keep making noise at them about it until someone there can give me one.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@johnpjackson I did some research. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer to this. I notice the privacy issue was previously discussed. Korea and Japan both have strict laws about camera shutter sound not being able to be muted at all, and that might have something to do about it. The states may have their own individual laws, which carriers may be able to get away with until it becomes an issue, depending on the state.