cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Note9 Can't Disable Camera Shutter Sound!! >:(

JUMP TO SOLUTION
@VerbumVeritum wrote:

@johnpjackson I did some research. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer to this. I notice the privacy issue was previously discussed. Korea and Japan both have strict laws about camera shutter sound not being able to be muted at all, and that might have something to do about it. The states may have their own individual laws, which carriers may be able to get away with until it becomes an issue, depending on the state.

Samsung has done nothing to address anyone's privacy laws because they've done nothing to prevent anyone from muting the artificial shutter sound.  Simply turning down the system volume to zero mutes the sound.  I don't want to be treated by Samsung or you like an annoyance because I'm looking for Samsung to restore a fundamental Android option of being able to disable artificial camera shutter noise.  This is a $1,300 phone.  I don't want to be told that I have to be satisfied with being asked to go and fiddle around with my system volume before and after wanting to take pictures, every time, and I don't want to have to bog my device down otherwise with having to use Goodlock's IFTT routines, etc.  I want the option to choose to disable the artificial camera noise available as is natively part of Android.  How many times do I have to ask to have the 'Solved' flag removed from this thread?  Do I sound like I've gotten a solution to my problem with this device?

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@johnpjackson maybe that is the only caveat they can offer? There has to be a reason. You're not an annoyance at all, I too find the sound irritating. I just don't think that this is going to be a truly fixed the way you're expecting very soon seeing as how it has been years with the S8, Note 8, S9, etc being the same way. If you don't want to "bog" down your phone with Good Lock Routines, just keep system volume at zero. The moderator probably won't unsolve this because currently that pretty much is the answer. Some carriers have the option for shutter sound, the rest of us don't. 😭 There are methods of renaming the sound file for the shutter sound within your system files, but steps to doing that cannot be discussed here due to Community Rules. 

userbYe6clX2jw
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You're so right  I'm returning my Note 9 tomorrow because of this  Let's see if Samsung will listen at all 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userbYe6clX2jw you're returning your Note 9 because you can't disable the camera shutter on the default camera app? 

userbYe6clX2jw
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And what alternative app to the stock camera app will give me the same features? x2 zoom, super slow mo etc? Really? Sometimes you need to think before bashing other people's comments. 

userbYe6clX2jw
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bough my Note 9 unlocked directly from Samsung but my wife got her from T-mobile  Today I opened on both phones the camera settings and surprisingly found that the shutter sound option is present only in the T-Mobile variant. This indicates that Samsung doesn't really care about the customers in certain markets as they push one firmware for all(just renaming it to match the region) , and since the law in certain countries prohibits the disabling of such feature, we in States are being put under this umbrella as well. And that's why I'll return my phone. Not because it's not a good phone, but because Samsung is mistreating its customers with such generalizations. See photos :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RaK5cwle0wJ9pcNV-PUajJTBmbp1olap/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fKZqIZBBhzxR6dclw3pvI2wHOfn8VwXo/view?usp=drivesdk

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My AT&T phone allows me to turn it off too, which I did right away. Such a weird issue for user to worry about. If it was all of us affected, I'd just say it is the way it is, but seeing how T-mobile and AT&T models allow users to turn it off (both GSM carriers, coincidence?), but others don't makes it just an odd issue with no real justification. 

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
fg72
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can turn off the Camera sound with my Verizon phone too.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey guys, I know there are some hard feelings on this topic. However, I wanted to share an article that was brought to my attention with you all: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01002007/  I'm sorry for any inconveniences this may cause. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCole wrote:

Hey guys, I know there are some hard feelings on this topic. However, I wanted to share an article that was brought to my attention with you all: www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01002007/  I'm sorry for any inconveniences this may cause. 

I'm sorry, you just seem to not understand, and keep adding insult to injury.  The above referenced article only serves to create further inflammation.  It's absolutely untenable that Samsung is explaining what amounts to them saying that carriers can choose to include the shutter sound control in their builds of the firmware, but Samsung is choosing to withold the feature.  Again - when someone buys an unlocked device directly from Samsung, they implicitly are saying they expect Samsung will supply them with everything the device is capable of, rather than having to face the concern with a device from a carrier and finding the carrier has put themselves in between Samsung and themselves, the owner, and chosen to compromise their access to full access to all features and capabilities of the device in some way.

How have we come to this, where Samsung has actually become the party witholding functionality, from it's MOST DEDICATED, HIGHEST PAYING CUSTOMERS/SUPPORTERS?

Again I ask, for at least the THIRD time, will you PLEASE withdraw the personally opinionated 'Solved' designation from this topic, and will you PLEASE either escalate this within Samsung yourself, or else provide me with contact information for where I can meaningfully pursue that effort myself?

And I reiterate:

Please?

Thank you for your understanding.