Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ccalberti
Asteroid

Galaxy Store Now Requires Access to Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Samsung Galaxy Apps Store app now requires access to Contacts in order to function.  This seems to have occurred since the last Samsung firmware upgrade.  This is not required by Googlre Play, for example even with the most recent Android upgrade.  What is the reason for this fundamental breach of privacy?  Samsung does not need access to my contacts to seel me apps or upgrade existing apps and firmware.  I am very disappointed in Samsung, as this egregious change in policy flies in the face of current trends to protect basic privacy rights.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy Store Now Requires Access to Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At this time the permissions would be required in order to use the app. There are no known work-arounds that I could offer. However, I appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I believe you need that permission to share the app example If you want someone else to get a certain app instead of just telling them you can can share the link to the app with your contacts 

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as "Solved."

Note 9 User

Note 9 User on Verizon Wireless
ccalberti
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That is not correct.  I am not able to open the Galaxy Store on my Note 9 as I have withheld permission to access contacts.  I have no interest in sharing any app with anyone.  There is no business reason whatsoever for Samsung to require access to my Contacts, expect to exploit that access for their own gains through marketing, etc.  This is a fundamental violation of my privacy, imposed after I shelled out over $1000 for this phone, without obtaining my consent.  Now, is there a workaround?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At this time the permissions would be required in order to use the app. There are no known work-arounds that I could offer. However, I appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

ccalberti
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, I was correct.  Access to Contacts is now required.  Please tell me, and everyone else who follows this exchange, (1) what rights Samsung has to make use of my Contacts now if I give them access, and (2) if I will be able to update my apps or firmware if I refuse to give access to my contacts. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would agree with @GaryB82, I believe it is so you are able to share an app with one of your contacts. Also, I do not believe you can update the apps without the use of Galaxy App Store. However, your firmware is updated through Google, and the option is in your Settings so this shouldn't be an issue. It is your choice if you choose to use the app(s).

ccalberti
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What do you mean, share an app with one of my contacts?  I want to know how Samsung will use my Contact information.

userq7haMr2H6z
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also share the concerns mentioned. I do not want Samsung Galaxy Store to get access to my contacts, especially if it is unclear what the app will do with my contact information.

I am very disappointed that there is no workaround for this. If I don't want to share my contacts with Samsung, I have to go without updates, which leaves me to security risks. Furthermore this is about Samsung Default-Apps, which cannot be uninstalled. Makes this issues even more painful.

userAh8CDoXQxy
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This issue is not solved it is just begining..  Hay Samsung I have 5 current samsung phones,  you dont need permission for my contacts I paid for the phones its not a lease..  there is no shareing turned on at all on my phone.   You and verizon are forcing updates I dont want, I was more than happy, for the first time ever, with oreo on my note 9, it just worked.  now I have to relearn a new system for 6 months till you change it all again.

I am actually looking at apple again because of the privacey issues only.  Thats 5 new $1000 dollar phones, yes I can write a check,  and I wont be switching back.  If this permission issue is not reversed within the next update I will be switching,  I am currently not allowing acess and cant update any apps..   My patence with you and google is wearing very thin.  you have lost all of the lawsuits in the EU over privacey and blanket EULAs,  I dont use any google products or services, and all are turned off on my phone, all of my friends have done the same, enough is enough..   

Solution=  samsung start your own operating system with real security I will buy it and any new hardware needed.  

PS , linux mint user dont like the view inside the orchard or the windows prison..