cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Store Now Requires Access to Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry, I probably was very upset with privacy going mad. I just wanted to add the text, but not reply to Developer1.

These days you buy a phone like buying a trojan horse. And is not a gift.

Who should know your location? GSM network, google services, samsung company, microsoft outlook, Facebook, Viber or you pick one.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At this time the permissions would be required in order to use the app. There are no known work-arounds that I could offer. However, I appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, I was correct.  Access to Contacts is now required.  Please tell me, and everyone else who follows this exchange, (1) what rights Samsung has to make use of my Contacts now if I give them access, and (2) if I will be able to update my apps or firmware if I refuse to give access to my contacts. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would agree with @GaryB82, I believe it is so you are able to share an app with one of your contacts. Also, I do not believe you can update the apps without the use of Galaxy App Store. However, your firmware is updated through Google, and the option is in your Settings so this shouldn't be an issue. It is your choice if you choose to use the app(s).

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What do you mean, share an app with one of my contacts?  I want to know how Samsung will use my Contact information.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also share the concerns mentioned. I do not want Samsung Galaxy Store to get access to my contacts, especially if it is unclear what the app will do with my contact information.

I am very disappointed that there is no workaround for this. If I don't want to share my contacts with Samsung, I have to go without updates, which leaves me to security risks. Furthermore this is about Samsung Default-Apps, which cannot be uninstalled. Makes this issues even more painful.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungRei wrote:

I would agree with @GaryB82, I believe it is so you are able to share an app with one of your contacts. Also, I do not believe you can update the apps without the use of Galaxy App Store. However, your firmware is updated through Google, and the option is in your Settings so this shouldn't be an issue. It is your choice if you choose to use the app(s).

The right design/approach would have been to ask for permission if/when someone tries to share a link not when performing a completely unrelated task.

Using the above logic, every app will need access to everything on the phone. Perhaps our bank account details too?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

<edit> Developer1 did the work for us (of reading the privacy policy) and Samsung is just using it for their own sake. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This issue is not solved it is just begining..  Hay Samsung I have 5 current samsung phones,  you dont need permission for my contacts I paid for the phones its not a lease..  there is no shareing turned on at all on my phone.   You and verizon are forcing updates I dont want, I was more than happy, for the first time ever, with oreo on my note 9, it just worked.  now I have to relearn a new system for 6 months till you change it all again.

I am actually looking at apple again because of the privacey issues only.  Thats 5 new $1000 dollar phones, yes I can write a check,  and I wont be switching back.  If this permission issue is not reversed within the next update I will be switching,  I am currently not allowing acess and cant update any apps..   My patence with you and google is wearing very thin.  you have lost all of the lawsuits in the EU over privacey and blanket EULAs,  I dont use any google products or services, and all are turned off on my phone, all of my friends have done the same, enough is enough..   

Solution=  samsung start your own operating system with real security I will buy it and any new hardware needed.  

PS , linux mint user dont like the view inside the orchard or the windows prison..

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You hold Samsung to a different standard than Google even though Samsung is REQUIRING access to use their app store which not even Google does.

You should check out the Librem 5 and PinePhone! The software is coming along nicely but they need financial support.