cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Store Now Requires Access to Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Your judge is not correct. I you make bread and I like to buy bread from you, doesn't mean I allow you to take a tour of my bedroom each time I buy a bread from you.

And you know what? Authorities can withdraw you license to make bread if your policy is not correct.

I paid a lot for a device to be mine. I must decide what I share and what not.

So I am very concerned about Samsung privacy and every time when access to my Contacts is requred.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You realise that Developer1, the person you're replying to, is on our side here?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry, I probably was very upset with privacy going mad. I just wanted to add the text, but not reply to Developer1.

These days you buy a phone like buying a trojan horse. And is not a gift.

Who should know your location? GSM network, google services, samsung company, microsoft outlook, Facebook, Viber or you pick one.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At this time the permissions would be required in order to use the app. There are no known work-arounds that I could offer. However, I appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, I was correct.  Access to Contacts is now required.  Please tell me, and everyone else who follows this exchange, (1) what rights Samsung has to make use of my Contacts now if I give them access, and (2) if I will be able to update my apps or firmware if I refuse to give access to my contacts. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would agree with @GaryB82, I believe it is so you are able to share an app with one of your contacts. Also, I do not believe you can update the apps without the use of Galaxy App Store. However, your firmware is updated through Google, and the option is in your Settings so this shouldn't be an issue. It is your choice if you choose to use the app(s).

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What do you mean, share an app with one of my contacts?  I want to know how Samsung will use my Contact information.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also share the concerns mentioned. I do not want Samsung Galaxy Store to get access to my contacts, especially if it is unclear what the app will do with my contact information.

I am very disappointed that there is no workaround for this. If I don't want to share my contacts with Samsung, I have to go without updates, which leaves me to security risks. Furthermore this is about Samsung Default-Apps, which cannot be uninstalled. Makes this issues even more painful.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been a loyal Samsung user for over a decade. I've upgraded regularly and currently use an S10+ 1TB, Active 2 watch and Galaxy Buds, but this invasion of privacy is simply unacceptable. I understand Samsung couldn't care less about this thread or any of our concerns. My only solution to this issue is to purchase the new iPhone 12 Pro this fall. With this purchase I'll also be getting the latest Apple watch and airpods.  While this will be a major purchase, my privacy and the privacy of my contacts are worth it to me.  Samsung isn't just losing a life-long customer over the issue, but my wife and three children as well. Two have already made the switch!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I will be switching to Apple as well.  What the heck I already have the Ipad Pro and earbuds.  I really liked the Samsung products up until this greedy approach to having data that they can use to sell and make money.   Greed.