cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Store Now Requires Access to Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I couldn't agree more, I'm terribly disappointed in Samsung. Explain to me why you need access to my contacts so I can use the Galaxy Store app? What data are you mining on my phone ? 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Agreed. I'm simply not updating the apps.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not am I when promoted. I do notice that many apps see to go ahead and update anyway even without access to contacts.  I will never give Samsung access.

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah not to mention the ads that you have to watch now when downloading a simple wallpaper or trying to just download an app from the Samsung store. I'm sticking to Google play store for everything from here on out

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

"Contacts" is misleading. There is more than your email and phone number plus address. It also encompasses everything about the hardware, Ser No, IMEI, network (mobile), firmware, software version build. The kitchen sink. 

And it allows mapping what apps are installed. How often you email or call a contact. 

I found an Apple dev page on contact framework but not the one I read somewhat recently on the subject - esp for the person jumping to iOS. 

I tried Google, XDA, other likely sources. 

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/contacts 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is this only for the Note 9 or for all Galaxy devices?

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How about allowing the stupid unnecessary Contacts permission, just long enough to update, if you actually need something from Galaxy Store, and then deny permission; would this solve it - anyone? 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

They still win every time you grant them access. This is just an evasive ploy to keep monitizing users data without consent. Until we have laws like the EU, these mega companies will continue to data mine through 1s and 0s. Absolutely appalling.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This appears to apply to all Galaxy series. Requiring access to my phone and/or contacts not only violates my privacy but forces me to violate the privacy of all those in my contacts. They have not given permission to reveal their information.

I see no valid reason why Samsung needs access to my associates to update those apps Samsung installed and already exist  on my phone such as the clock, gallery, others.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I guess alot of us won't be updating 🤚👎