cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Galaxy Store Now Requires Access to Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How about allowing the stupid unnecessary Contacts permission, just long enough to update, if you actually need something from Galaxy Store, and then deny permission; would this solve it - anyone? 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

They still win every time you grant them access. This is just an evasive ploy to keep monitizing users data without consent. Until we have laws like the EU, these mega companies will continue to data mine through 1s and 0s. Absolutely appalling.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This appears to apply to all Galaxy series. Requiring access to my phone and/or contacts not only violates my privacy but forces me to violate the privacy of all those in my contacts. They have not given permission to reveal their information.

I see no valid reason why Samsung needs access to my associates to update those apps Samsung installed and already exist  on my phone such as the clock, gallery, others.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I guess alot of us won't be updating 🤚👎

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Its a shame samsung does this. There is no solution of this problem other then removing the weird permissions. So dont mark this tread as resolved. If i knew this before, i would have never switched to Samsung.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I created an account just to say that my tablet will be my last Samsung device. Requiring contacts to function without any explanation is not something I can consciously accept

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is a real solution that may work for some people.

Move your contacts to the SIM card(s) instaed of using the phone storage for contacts.

Now remove sim card slot prior to opening Galaxy Store.

Once finished with Galaxy Store force close the app then deny contact permissions for the Galaxy Store via Settings>Apps.

Insert sim card slot and continue with your private life.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" if this solution works for you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That is not a solution! Here we go again with another distraction from what ought to be the focus. The solution is not for me to transfer my contacts to any external medium, it is for "samsung" to not force me to give them access to information that is private and has no semblance to what needs to be done for an update. Really, why does "samsung" need access to my contacts in order to update my wallpaper? This is just a despicable behaviour and greed. Phones are already overpriced but yet monetizing customers is still a priority of the capitalist greed.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In my contacts is stored certain sensitive information that I absolutely cannot release to Samsung. I imagine that means I must use the phone without Galaxy Store or any of the Samsung apps. That is mostly fine, but I'm concerned about security updates. Are security updates delivered through the Galaxy Store? Or are there other ways to obtain them?