cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveM
Asteroid

General slowness and delayed / duplicate notifications

So my Note 9 has been generally slow, notifications come in delayed and duplicated. Yes I have seen the following Delayed-notifications-issue-affecting-all-range-of-Samsung

Post and the S8 one to put your phone in developer mode and run a command.   Thing is we paid over $1200 for these phones and putting it into developer mode is not a solution.  I've bought more Samsung phones than I care to admit (double digits)  and the fact that Samsung has allowed this issue to remain for so long and has not rectified it, let alone acknowledged it,  means they really don't care and it may be time to move on... especially when a phone like

Asus ROG Phone 2

Which has better specs and is still cheaper than the Note 9, S10 and the Note 10 (specs known to date) comes out in September for under $1000.

Is Samsung going to fix this issue?  Or are they going to start to lose a lot of customers?

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: General slowness and delayed / duplicate notifications

Hey there!

Have you tried wiping the cache partition of your device?

1.    Turn off the device.
2.    Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
3.    When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4.    An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5.    Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6.    Press Power key to select.
7.    Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8.    When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9.    Press the Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

DaveM
Asteroid

Let me start by letting you know that I am a developer and yes I have tried it all.  While the developer mode so called fix is a work around for some of the issues, it is not a fix.

But thank you for trying to help.

P.S. Edit - Wiping the cache partition or clearing the download manager cache and data are only temporary work arounds not fixes.  While yes most software has bugs, most good developers will not allow known bugs to remain unfixed.

useren3hhzT0Pi
Constellation

I just got this phone and from day 1 the notifications have been delayed, and in some cases I don't hear them at all, such as Whatsapp and Facebook.

I saw another User said phone has to wake up first before they get notifications, and another user said there is a fix in battery settings, but I don't see the advanced settings he mentioned.

Very disappointed, nice looking phone but if this is how I get notifications like the others it's Samsung never again. Funny how all those Youtube reviewers never mention this! I still have my iphone in the living room connected to wifi and hear all the notifications loud and clear and they come in immediately EVER Y SINGLE TIME, no going into developer mode, no command line tweaks, this is garbage! Wiping cache partition? Are you kidding me are we living in the age of MS Dos computers with floppy drives?

DaveM
Asteroid

@SamsungZell 

I have figured out what is going on and it is frankly Amateur Hour.   Either Verizon or Samsung is responsible for this by deploying DEBUG Android kermels out to production onto what could be millions of phones.  I have detailed the cause here and how to check if your Android device is effected.    https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/Delayed-notifications-issue-affecting-all-range-of-...

Black Hole

@DaveM wrote:

So my Note 9 has been generally slow, notifications come in delayed and duplicated. Yes I have seen the following Delayed-notifications-issue-affecting-all-range-of-Samsung

Post and the S8 one to put your phone in developer mode and run a command.   Thing is we paid over $1200 for these phones and putting it into developer mode is not a solution.  I've bought more Samsung phones than I care to admit (double digits)  and the fact that Samsung has allowed this issue to remain for so long and has not rectified it, let alone acknowledged it,  means they really don't care and it may be time to move on... especially when a phone like

Asus ROG Phone 2

Which has better specs and is still cheaper than the Note 9, S10 and the Note 10 (specs known to date) comes out in September for under $1000.

Is Samsung going to fix this issue?  Or are they going to start to lose a lot of customers?

I don't have Note9, but my friend has T-Mobile branded one.  He is very picky and usually complains if there is an issue.  Do you have an unlocked Note9 or from Verizon?

DaveM
Asteroid

On Verizon network shipped from Samsung.com

I'm not sure if the fact that every Samsung phone I have checked (Note 5, S7, S8, Note 9) has a DEBUG version of the Andriod kernel pushed out to it.  Unfortunately everyone I know has Verizon.  I hope to be able to check some non Verizon phones to verify if it is really just Verizon that has crapped the bed and been very, very stupid or if the issue goes all the way back to Samsung and they are sending Telcos Debug versions of Android to push out as updates.