cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Craznal
Asteroid

Large App Issues Note 9

Alright, this seems to be an issue that quite a few people are having, but I'm not finding if there are any solutions, or if Samsung even knows about it.

 

Since the Latest OS update, not the security updates, but when OS was rolled out, my phone won't keep large apps fully installed.  Seems like it's anything over 100MB.  I'll install it, run it just fine for a while, go to sleep, and wake up the next day with an app that won't load or telling me it's missing files, so I have to go back in and reinstall the app.  Every day I want to use it.  This is the only device I own that does this.

 

So, I have tried factory resets, play store reinstalls, play services reinstalls, cache clearing, and disabling system cleaners that are part of the phone.  Still, does this every day.

 

Talked to T-Mobile tech support, and Samsung tech support, there are no answers, next step is to get it reflashed...which will get me right back to where I started.  After a little research, I see I'm not the only one with this issue on a Note 9, so, I have my doubts a reflash will do anything.

 

So hear I am, seeing what sort of discussion we can get going to get Samsung to notice this and let us know if there is a bugfix in progress, since it seems these Note's get forgetten about a lot.

 

Any suggestions or solutions would be appretiated in the meantime, thanks all

6 REPLIES 6
Honored Contributor

Re: Large App Issues Note 9


@Craznal wrote:

Alright, this seems to be an issue that quite a few people are having, but I'm not finding if there are any solutions, or if Samsung even knows about it.

 

Since the Latest OS update, not the security updates, but when OS was rolled out, my phone won't keep large apps fully installed.  Seems like it's anything over 100MB.  I'll install it, run it just fine for a while, go to sleep, and wake up the next day with an app that won't load or telling me it's missing files, so I have to go back in and reinstall the app.  Every day I want to use it.  This is the only device I own that does this.

 

So, I have tried factory resets, play store reinstalls, play services reinstalls, cache clearing, and disabling system cleaners that are part of the phone.  Still, does this every day.

 

Talked to T-Mobile tech support, and Samsung tech support, there are no answers, next step is to get it reflashed...which will get me right back to where I started.  After a little research, I see I'm not the only one with this issue on a Note 9, so, I have my doubts a reflash will do anything.

 

So hear I am, seeing what sort of discussion we can get going to get Samsung to notice this and let us know if there is a bugfix in progress, since it seems these Note's get forgetten about a lot.

 

Any suggestions or solutions would be appretiated in the meantime, thanks all


I know there is a feature to put apps to sleep, but it is after some time(days) and doesn't delete the app.  So you install the app, use it, then next day they are not working? 

 

So if you go to: settings>device care>tap 3 dots on top right, you will see list of options: Auto optimization, Auto restart, App issues history and so on. 

Check the first item "auto optimization" see if it is turned on.  Turn it off and test for a day or two

Also go into App issue history, see what it shows

 

If that doesn't do anything in a few days, try below:

Wipe cache:
Make sure you turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about some seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
Press the Volume down key several times in order to highlight “Wipe cache partition.”
Press the Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight “Yes” and press the Power key to select.
After the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.


Reply
Loading...
Craznal
Asteroid

Re: Large App Issues Note 9


@Charkatak wrote:

@Craznal wrote:

Alright, this seems to be an issue that quite a few people are having, but I'm not finding if there are any solutions, or if Samsung even knows about it.

 

Since the Latest OS update, not the security updates, but when OS was rolled out, my phone won't keep large apps fully installed.  Seems like it's anything over 100MB.  I'll install it, run it just fine for a while, go to sleep, and wake up the next day with an app that won't load or telling me it's missing files, so I have to go back in and reinstall the app.  Every day I want to use it.  This is the only device I own that does this.

 

So, I have tried factory resets, play store reinstalls, play services reinstalls, cache clearing, and disabling system cleaners that are part of the phone.  Still, does this every day.

 

Talked to T-Mobile tech support, and Samsung tech support, there are no answers, next step is to get it reflashed...which will get me right back to where I started.  After a little research, I see I'm not the only one with this issue on a Note 9, so, I have my doubts a reflash will do anything.

 

So hear I am, seeing what sort of discussion we can get going to get Samsung to notice this and let us know if there is a bugfix in progress, since it seems these Note's get forgetten about a lot.

 

Any suggestions or solutions would be appretiated in the meantime, thanks all


I know there is a feature to put apps to sleep, but it is after some time(days) and doesn't delete the app.  So you install the app, use it, then next day they are not working? 

 

So if you go to: settings>device care>tap 3 dots on top right, you will see list of options: Auto optimization, Auto restart, App issues history and so on. 

Check the first item "auto optimization" see if it is turned on.  Turn it off and test for a day or two

Also go into App issue history, see what it shows

 

If that doesn't do anything in a few days, try below:

Wipe cache:
Make sure you turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about some seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
Press the Volume down key several times in order to highlight “Wipe cache partition.”
Press the Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight “Yes” and press the Power key to select.
After the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.


App optimization has been turned off, and app sleeping is disabled, which was the first thing I thought it was.  But as you said, sleep is 3 days default, this is next.  I'll try wiping the cache and see, but that should have happened when I did the factory reset too, right? 

Reply
Loading...
Craznal
Asteroid

Re: Large App Issues Note 9

Cleared cache partition, installed the game, played a bit, closed it.  Went about my business for little over a day, same thing.  Not working again.

Reply
Loading...
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Large App Issues Note 9

I would suspect a 3rd party app that you have installed. There is nothing in the default SW from Samsung that would do this. I have some very large games installed and those have never been deleted. 

 

Probably some app promising to optimize your device in one way or anther. 

Reply
Loading...
Craznal
Asteroid

Re: Large App Issues Note 9

 


@LongHiker wrote:

I would suspect a 3rd party app that you have installed. There is nothing in the default SW from Samsung that would do this. I have some very large games installed and those have never been deleted. 

 

Probably some app promising to optimize your device in one way or anther. 


Thought that, but I don't install anything like that.  Last time I factory reset was to test this, only app I installed was a large game, still did it the next day.

 

This doesn't happen on my Tab S4, and would be kind of a silly feature to have, which is why I think it's some glitch in the Note 9 SW. 

Reply
Loading...
Craznal
Asteroid

Re: Large App Issues Note 9

Nobody else with any solutions?  

Reply
Loading...