cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deez11010
Asteroid

MMS will not send to random numbers

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This one stumped for 3 months. Heres the back story.

I got my Note 9 the first week of November and it worked flawlessly. Around mid December suddenly I couldnt send MMS to one of our other phones. At first I thought it was just a service issue, maybe I lost connection while sending them over my wifi. It was just a quick pic of the dog so i thought nothing of it. I hadnt sent another MMS to that line for another couple weeks. Then I noticed I couldnt send any type of MMS to that line. No stickers, gifs, pics, videos. SMS and emojis go through no problem.

So I do the google search and find the steps to fix the sending problems. I went through step by step all the way down to the Coup de grâce, backup and factory reset.

No joy.

I send an MMS to multiple lines. And boom, that line that I cant send to direclty individually CAN now get the MMS. But ONLY as a group text. I still cant send to just the one line alone.

Then I call T-Mobile tech support. We go through and he has me send to our other 3 lines individually. All 3 go through, the other line still cannot. He has me send one to a test phone he has (provably his work phone) and it failed. So he "rebuilt the lines" whatever that means. Still no. The he has me swap my sim card to our S9 and try again. It works just fine so he says that means the issue is in the Note 9 itself and since I bought it from Samsung direct, I have to go there.

I bought it online and the nearest repair place is over 400 miles away on the other side of the state. I took it into Best Buy and spoke with their reps, but they are sales people and had no idea what was happening. They played with it and couldnt figure it out and just downloaded another messaging ap to use. It will send through that ap. Which means the issue is in the Samsung Messages ap. No time stamps and no way to schedule messages. So i simply go back to anytime I send that line an MMS, do it as a group with our home cell line.

Then a couple weeks ago I sent an MMS to one of our other lines that worked just fine...and suddenly it fails also. I send as a group with the other line that doesnt work, and it fails. I send it to both li es that fail and a line that doesnt, and it works for all.

Then I realize, the first time it failed for all the lines, I was taking a puc from inside the messages ap. I would select my recipiant, then select the + and then select camera. Then I would tey to zoom in, and the ap shuts down. Id have to restart the ap and tey again, and when I zoom in, it shuts down again. So then I just take the pic with the camera ap, then just attach the pic from gallery.  No, once the line gets locked out it doesnt matter how I try, the MMS will fail.

I believe what is happening is that while in the Samsung Messages ap, if you try to zoom in while taking a pic and it crashes, it locks up that account from ever being able to receive another MMS unless its combined with an unlocked line.

I had sent in my phone logs about a week ago to a support...dont remember where exactly and I accidentally deleted my entire email inbox...so I dont know if I've received an answer nor if the logs showed what I beleive is happening. Im sure theres some line of code thats locked up. But the issue is absolutely in the Samsung Messages ap and its with using the camera and zooming from inside the ap.

Its a minor inconvenience and irritation, but I'd love to be able to send MMS to those numbers individually again and I'd love to be able to zoom in without fear of locking out another number.  Currently theres no way for me to reset the ap....so we need an update with that fix.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: MMS will not send to random numbers

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you so much for providing all of this detailed information. We would recommend allowing us to set the device up for service.

Can you please send us a private message here with the below information: http://bit.ly/2GH8URL

First and Last Name:
Property Address:
Email Address:
Phone Number:
Alternate Phone Number:
(15) Digit IMEI Number:
Model Number:

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

15 REPLIES 15
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I please have your full model number, baseband version, and service provider?

Deez11010
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Model # - SM-N960U

Baseband version - N960USQU1ARL1

Service provider - T-Mobile

Deez11010
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is what is shows for service provider..

"Service provider SW ver."

SAOMC_SM-960U_OYN_TMB_OO_0029

29943911301c7ece

TMB/TMB/TMB

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is the software up to date on your device?

Deez11010
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It appatently my phone was not updated since January. But I just did the update and tried again. Still gets the red exclamation point and could not send. Its with the Samsung Messages Ap itself.

Version - 10.0.00.112

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does this happen if your device is in safe mode?

Deez11010
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, just to be sure with the update it still has issues, I  just did it in safe mode again. Red exclamation point and says "cancelled".

I'm pretty close to 99% sure its within the Samsung Messages ap (otherwise if it was the phone or anything other than the messages ap, why does it work with the google messages ap?) Its from zooming while using the camera function from inside the messages ap. When the ap crashed while zooming the camera, the multimedia code glitched and theres something there not allowing the code to process.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We would recommend trying to factory reset your device. Please save any information you need prior to the factory reset because otherwise your personal information may not be recovered. If you have encrypted the microSD card, you must decrypt it before resetting the phone. Otherwise, your phone will not be able to read the data on the card. From Settings, search for and select Decrypt SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts. Before you perform a factory reset, be sure to back up your personal data so you don't lose it all. 

Deez11010
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know my original post was long. But that was because of all the informationabout the issue, how it staryed what Ive done to correct the issue including the fact that I've already done the factory reset.

How many times do I need to factory reset before somebody will simply look and see there is a glitch? I've spent 3 months dealing with this narrowing it down. Ive said exacttly where the issue is in my original post and how it occured. Now its occurred multiple times the exavy same way. 

I recommend, you please actally read my original post thproughly. As Ive already done ALL of the steps with 2 other tech support personnel. Verified the VPN, blah blah blah...Ive done the steps myself from a google search. I've done the steps with T-Mobile Te h support. I've done the stwps.with Samsung Tech support. Tjats a total of THREE times ive done the stwps including faCtory resettiNg my phone...THREE TIMES.

I will do it a fourth time. And I will be back on, even more irritated since my post obviously wasnt read and since this reply is lengthy I will bet this too wont be read. That was very clear with the first reply asking who my service provider was when I very clearly said who it was in my original post. And then the recommendation of doing a factory reset, which HAS BEEN DONE as stated in the original post.

So now, I have to reset my phone...AGAIN. And redo all my settings. AGAIN. And I will be back later telling you that didnt work. 

And know I'll play psychic. After I reset and come back and tell you it didnt work. Youre going to advose me to take it to a certified repair. Im going to tell you its over 400 miles away on the other side of my state (as stated in my.original post). Youre going to tell me a technicial will need it in their hands to see exactly whats going on and will advise me to send it to you. Im going to tell you Im not sending my phone in being without my phone for several weeks as I need it for my work and I would be without income for those weeks. And thay will be the end of our conversation.

When ALL you have to do, is look at my messages ap logs, see the attempts and issue, see the numbers are locked out from multimedia from the crash while zooming the camera while using the messages ap and then send an update with the fix.

OR...maybe have more than one person in the state of Washington to be able to repair your devices. Or maybe send that lerson to the east side of the state. The next closest is a 9 hour drive i to Idaho. So my options are drive over a mountain pass in winter, for 6 hours one direction. Or drive to another state 9 hours one direction. You want me to spend $80-$120 in gas and a mininum of 12 hours driving....to show you EXAVTLY what I said in my original post...and since there is no fix right now because nobody will look...I will be sent home with a new phone at best because of a simple MMS issue that coukd be fixed with a software update. Burn a $1,200 phone, instead of simply fixing a miner yet rare issue.

Seems really stupid to me.

Ill be right back after my 4th factory reset is done.