cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

My phone says it is up to date but has a security patch from january 2019

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Late last year I bought a used note 9 and it has not received a single update since then, whenever I try to update it tells me it is running the latest firmware, however it shows it is using a security patch from january 2019, that is over a year old!

I have tried clearing cache, safe mode, and the smart switch PC app, the result is always the same.

The phone is unlocked and my current carrier is Mint mobile, which uses the T-mobile network, the baseband version on my phone says it's N960USQU1CSA7, whenever I look up that version online I see articles about flashing that firmware which seems to be from AT&T.

My guess is that this phone was perhaps originally from AT&T and was flashed with that firmware then unlocked, what can I do so I can start receiving regular updates?

EDIT: after speaking with samsung support and giving them my IMEI they informed me that this phone is not from the US but from Canada, after speaking with Canadian support we figured this is a canadian phone that was flashed with American firmware, this firmware seems like it was leaked way back in early 2019 from at&t, this leaked firmware had android 9 before the official release, someone impatient must have taken this canadian phone and flashed the firmware to get android 9 early, however the leaked firmware doesn't seem to have the ability to update at all, my best bet is to take the phone to a repair station so it may be flashed with officially released firmware, however that is impossible right now as everything is closed bacause of the corona virus, can anyone guide me through flashing the phone myself? Canadian support has told me I could flash American firmware on it, I just don't know which firmware to use, he also said the phone is factory unlocked as the note 9 has never been sold carrier locked in Canada, thank you.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: My phone says it is up to date but has a security patch from january 2019

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Get on Google and look up UBreakIFix and find one in your area.  I know that the local UbreakIFix locations in my area are up and running.  As a matter of fact, I've been to them twice since this mess started.  You might have to make an appointment, and drop it off with them.  When I was there it was only one person at a time in the store.  

I dropped mine off, they said come back in two hours.  Factory reset to whatever the current version is.  Backup everything first since it is a TOTAL wipe of the system.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: My phone says it is up to date but has a security patch from january 2019

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Get on Google and look up UBreakIFix and find one in your area.  I know that the local UbreakIFix locations in my area are up and running.  As a matter of fact, I've been to them twice since this mess started.  You might have to make an appointment, and drop it off with them.  When I was there it was only one person at a time in the store.  

I dropped mine off, they said come back in two hours.  Factory reset to whatever the current version is.  Backup everything first since it is a TOTAL wipe of the system.  

View solution in original post