Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Purple Peanut
Asteroid

NOTE 9 EDGE LIGHTING DOES NOT WORK WHEN SCREEN IS OFF

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been playing around with my note 9 settings for a couple of days now, and I still can't seem to get the edge lighting to work properly when the screen is off (locked), even though the "Always On Display" is on.

At first it worked, then for some reason it just stopped. And no matter how many different settings I tried, it couldn't get it to work again.

So far, the only workaround that could help it work is if I set the pop-up notification to on. If the pop-up notif is on, the edge lighting work. But it is REALLY ANNOYING that every time I pressed the home button, instead of the home screen / lock screen, I am greeted by the pop-up, and I have to close it first to get to the lock screen.

I read that this has been a common problem for S8 and S9 users, but I haven't found any thread for Note 9, although I'm fairly certain mine can't be the only one.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET IT TO WORK WITHOUT HAVING TO TURN ON POP-UP NOTIFICATION???

This has been a common problem for quite a while now, I don't understand why Samsung doesn't even try to fix the problem?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: NOTE 9 EDGE LIGHTING DOES NOT WORK WHEN SCREEN IS OFF

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is a helpful link with some information about the Edge Lighting feature: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077671/

74 REPLIES 74
Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userDowR77F9NW: Can I get the following information?

Model Number

Baseband Version

Carrier

Purple Peanut
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

hi!

model no: SM-N960F

baseband v: N960FXXU1ARGC

The phone is the unlocked version, so no carrier. But I don't think carrier has anything to do with the edge lighting function?

Because it works perfectly fine for the Samsung messaging apps (so perhaps other built-in Samsung apps as well). But incompatible with third party apps.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, just to double check, was this device purchased in the U.S.?

Purple Peanut
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, not in the US. Oh, and this is my first ever android phone actually. Am I in the wrong thread or something? Hehe

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Purple Peanut This Community works largely with US based devices so it's hard for us to speak on exactly what may or may not be happening to your specific device. You are welcome to see if the Community can assist, but as many may not have the same device as you it might also be worth reaching out to your region specifically for more in depth assistance! You can do so by using this link: http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry  Thanks! 

Purple Peanut
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ah okay. Well... Since the post is already up...... Might as well see the feedback from US users.

Also, it seems that this is a very very very common problem in the US too, since most of the threads that I read are from the US. And also it's not just Note 9, but also other type of phones: S8, S9 etc.

So I'm guessing the problem has nothing to do with any one specific region or one specific phone type.

userwDsLwst0yO
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have same problem too...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is a helpful link with some information about the Edge Lighting feature: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077671/

userRqJsN9eUNT
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm in the US and I have the Same problem.. it works when the screen is on but doesn't work with the screen off. I've tried exactly what the OP said with the Always-On Display on and off.. and nothing seems to work unless the popup chat box in enabled. And that's annoying.. help please